Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Business Platinum chances? *Update 09/06*

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

AMEX Business Platinum chances? *Update 09/06*

American Express keeps sending me offers in the mail to apply for their Business Platinum card, I've always thrown them away thinking there was no chance but since they gave me an AMEX Green Card for personal use recently, now I'm starting to think about it.

The offer is for 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you spend $10,000 in the first 3 months. There is an annual fee of $450, which is quite steep, but thoses bonus points certainly make up for it. The $200 yearly airline credit toward checked bags and in-flight refreshments is nice too.

Is there a high likleyhood of being approved for this if they keep sending me these and I already got approved for the Green Card? The offer expires Sept. 6th so I was thinking of waiting till closer to that date to establish the Green Card a little by make a few payments toward it. Sound like a good plan?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Business Platinum chances?

@Mike_B03 wrote:

American Express keeps sending me offers in the mail to apply for their Business Platinum card, I've always thrown them away thinking there was no chance but since they gave me an AMEX Green Card for personal use recently, now I'm starting to think about it.

The offer is for 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you spend $10,000 in the first 3 months. There is an annual fee of $450, which is quite steep, but thoses bonus points certainly make up for it. The $200 yearly airline credit toward checked bags and in-flight refreshments is nice too.

Is there a high likleyhood of being approved for this if they keep sending me these and I already got approved for the Green Card? The offer expires Sept. 6th so I was thinking of waiting till closer to that date to establish the Green Card a little by make a few payments toward it. Sound like a good plan?

If you can make the spent then I would say go for it since you're already a customer its a SP if denied HP if approved that's a win win situation

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 12
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Yes, that's a great plan as long as you are certain you can get $450 of value out of the card. I remember your recent post about AmEx freezing your card. This is a good move but show them some history (read: spend heavy and pay off a couple times a month on the green).

Hey mods can we get this post moved to the business credit area? Would be better to discuss over there where people who have businesses and this type card can chime in as they might miss it here. 

See you over in the business area Mike_B03. We don't bite Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 12
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

Yes, that's a great plan as long as you are certain you can get $450 of value out of the card. I remember your recent post about AmEx freezing your card. This is a good move but show them some history (read: spend heavy and pay off a couple times a month on the green).

Hey mods can we get this post moved to the business credit area? Would be better to discuss over there where people who have businesses and this type card can chime in as they might miss it here. 

Sorry about that, I keep forgetting there is a business section as well.

About the AMEX Green Card, they hadn't frozen the card yet, they were just saying they would...but I made a big payment and all is good. I figure between now and Sept 6th I can make 3 more payments (in addition to the 1 already made) and maybe that will improve the chances.

I didn't know that if denied is a soft pull and if approved it's a hard pull, is that because I am a current card holder?

Message 5 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Mike_B03 wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

About the AMEX Green Card, they hadn't frozen the card yet, they were just saying they would...but I made a big payment and all is good. I figure between now and Sept 6th I can make 3 more payments (in addition to the 1 already made) and maybe that will improve the chances.

I didn't know that if denied is a soft pull and if approved it's a hard pull, is that because I am a current card holder? Yes 

See you in Business forum

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 12
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Mike_B03 wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

I didn't know that if denied is a soft pull and if approved it's a hard pull, is that because I am a current card holder?

Nope, it's because they love you! OK. yes that goes for all AmEx cardholders and it can be a nice perk. Don't pull the trigger early! You have a good plan now stick to it. 

Message 7 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

@Mike_B03 wrote:

Your likelihood of being approved only improves since you're already a cardmember.  I think the 100K MR sign-up bonus is a great offer, but only if you can meet the $10K spend in 3 months.

I'd say this is a good choice if you were planning to get an Amex business card, since you can always downgrade to a lesser fee card the following year, but can make use of the 100K points and $200 airline credit twice, since it's once per calendar year.  This would reduce your fee to $50.

I would app for it, since a decline would only result in a SP for current cardmembers.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 12
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Sounds good, really nothing to lose by applying. As I stated earlier, I'll wait until closer to the deadline, probably right after Sept 1st, so that way I'll have two statements worth of the personal AMEX Green Card (July & August). 

If I get approved, I'll get the 100k bonus points + I'm getting 25k bonus point from the Green Card for a nice 125k point total! That should be good for 2 international tickets on some of the partner airlines. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Mike_B03 wrote:

Sounds good, really nothing to lose by applying. As I stated earlier, I'll wait until closer to the deadline, probably right after Sept 1st, so that way I'll have two statements worth of the personal AMEX Green Card (July & August). 

If I get approved, I'll get the 100k bonus points + I'm getting 25k bonus point from the Green Card for a nice 125k point total! That should be good for 2 international tickets on some of the partner airlines. Smiley Very Happy

Sounds like a plan 

Good luck and keep us posted

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.