Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold Business Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Gold Business Card

I'm the Primary of the business card. I have employees under the account as well.  I have questions If anyone can help. 

1. Does the usage of the card help my own fico score and credit report (being in primary) or not so much because it's a business card? How about my employees, do they benefit on the score and credit report? Or it's just beneficial to keep a good standing relationship with Amex on future applications for personal cards? 

2. It's been 9 months since I opened this and  been using this card well, we have been offered to upgrade to Platinum already. Is it worth upgrading to that now or having the Gold is as good? What's the major difference of Gold and Platinum apart from the annual fees?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold Business Card

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm the Primary of the business card. I have employees under the account as well.  I have questions If anyone can help. 

1. Does the usage of the card help my own fico score and credit report (being in primary) or not so much because it's a business card? How about my employees, do they benefit on the score and credit report? Or it's just beneficial to keep a good standing relationship with Amex on future applications for personal cards? 

2. It's been 9 months since I opened this and  been using this card well, we have been offered to upgrade to Platinum already. Is it worth upgrading to that now or having the Gold is as good? What's the major difference of Gold and Platinum apart from the annual fees?

Thanks!

1. In general Amex does not report business cards to personal credit (for you or your employees). A relationship with Amex can possibly  help you get other cards but Amex cards usually are not difficult to get with a clean credit report and no past negative history with Amex. One behavior they do not like to see is people frequently opening and closing their Amex cards (earning bonuses but not keeping the cards more than a year or two).

2. Whether Gold or Platinum is better depends on how you use the cards. If you spend a lot on shipping or dining (or other selected categories), Gold may be better. If you're like me and spend a lot on construction-related things, Platinum may be better. Platinum generally has more in the way of perks and credits. I'm not sure what the fee situation is on Gold for employee cards. I know on Platinum it's $300 for each employee to have a Platinum with all the perks, which is not cheap...but a Green employee card on a Platinum account is free. It gets the same credits and protections but without the travel perks.

(Will notify mods to move the thread.)

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 3
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold Business Card

Just make sure your business Gold never gets AA or negative remarks/reports as that will affect your personal credit and affect getting more business & personal cards.

As for the upgrade to Plat, are they offering 100K+ MR SUB with the increased AF ?

Any more spend to get the Plat ?

If the SUB is good, then I'd consider it.

The Plat is great for travel, hotels, car rentals and other business travel expenses.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.