Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Address alternatives for Business

tag
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

Address alternatives for Business

What are options one can utilize if they don't want to use their home address as the business address? Any and all suggestions are welcomed. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Address alternatives for Business

Are you a sole prop? If so you can explore options such as PO Boxes (with an actual street address if you so choose) with USPS or UPS for example. Check their services and comparison shop depending on your needs. Some people do this to protect their privacy

Message 2 of 10
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

I literally had just looked at usps and it says that the only way to use a P.O. Box and physical of the post office is for just large parcel. And that using it for business purposes is a violation. I have an one member llc. Yes sole proprietor. 

Message 3 of 10
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Are you a sole prop? If so you can explore options such as PO Boxes (with an actual street address if you so choose) with USPS or UPS for example. Check their services and comparison shop depending on your needs. Some people do this to protect their privacy

You're a genius! Ups has that I didn't know it was a thing Let alone it can be the primary business 

C5911591-5DC4-4526-9A88-FB18E0092976.jpeg

Message 4 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Newbie2018 wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

You're a genius! Ups has that I didn't know it was a thing Let alone it can be the primary business 

C5911591-5DC4-4526-9A88-FB18E0092976.jpeg

As long as your business isn't a LLC or corporation (I believe) that should work for you. It is why I asked if you were classified as a sole proprietor

Message 5 of 10
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

Ah ok yea it's an LLC. Only sole proprietorship is for tax purposes. So with that being said wil UPS not work for my LLC?

Message 6 of 10
RealEstateGuy89
Frequent Contributor

@Newbie2018 wrote:

Ah ok yea it's an LLC. Only sole proprietorship is for tax purposes. So with that being said wil UPS not work for my LLC?

If you are using it for credit related companies, I would not use UPS. Most lenders will catch the address in their system and deny you for it.  I realize this wouldn't work for you for privacy reasons but I've always used a suite number after my home address and it's worked like a charm for me, i.e. STE 102. 

Message 7 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Newbie2018 wrote:

For legal reasons since you're an LLC I am fairly confident (look it up to be sure) you have to use a physical address where you conduct your business; this is where they can contact you to serve legal documents and so on. Unless you use a third party such as your attorney that can act as an "agent" on your behalf. Wouldn't hurt to go to your local UPS store and find out

Message 8 of 10
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@Newbie2018 wrote:

For legal reasons since you're an LLC I am fairly confident (look it up to be sure) you have to use a physical address where you conduct your business; this is where they can contact you to serve legal documents and so on. Unless you use a third party such as your attorney that can act as an "agent" on your behalf. Wouldn't hurt to go to your local UPS store and find out

Yes registered agent has an address for legal. But the primary physical address of the business is what I was needing help with. I'll be calling ups today to see what I can find out. I just want to ensure privacy which is why I don't want anyone knowing where I live. Currently I have the business under my home address. 

Message 9 of 10
DONZI
Established Contributor

I use a UPS Store address for personal mail and for the most part it's worked pretty well.

However, the way that some companies auto-correct address information it can be tricky to get a UPS Store address to persist.

EG: 1234 Street <whatever variation of box number> (suite, "#xxx", etc) can be magically transposed to ONLY street. I've seen that happen immediately when filling out the information online or later after saving what looked as I desired.

Additionally I've see some butcher the "Addr 1" + "Addr 2" approach by removing the "Addr 2" line leaving just "1234 Street" as the complete address.

On one occasion the CSR I spoke with trying to work-around the automatic address 'correction' issue asked me if it was a UPS Store address... They then continued to explain how for some reason USP Store address are -always- a problem with their system.

The gist of it is, that there could be some extra time and aggravation with trying to establish a UPS Store address with some entities. In fact I still have 1 or 2 things I'd been unable to get fully corrected continue to use the simple street address (w/o box) but since I've been using the UPS Store for so long they know where to put my mail.

I don't remember it being so hit/miss with having/requiring a separate mailing address 20+ years ago. Smiley Frustrated

Privacy can almost be discarded as a reason to have a separate mailing address these days.. I have my mailing address since I am not commonly available at the primary physical address and consider it's mailbox inadequate for both volume and security of my mail.

..if you own your dwelling, not hard to find out your address by anyone really. If not, probably not that hard either. Try some searches (of your name, phone, address, etc) or pay one of the investigation services on the web their token amount and see for yourself -- you might be surprised.

I've been driven to consider opening an office or using a registered agent service for a couple years now.. I dread to adjust a long time mailing address with all the places, again. (previously used a POB which can be a nightmare)

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.