Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BBP Denial..too many Amex cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex BBP Denial..too many Amex cards

Amex BBP denied today. Got the 14 day review.  Called the status line:

Can't approve because you can only open 2 Amex cards per 90 day period.  You could apply 90 days after last card was opened.

I got Delta Gold in August and Hilton Aspire in October - both personal cards. FICO score on file with Amex 689

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex BBP Denial..too many Amex cards

@Anonymous wrote:

Can't approve because you can only open 2 Amex cards per 90 day period.  You could apply 90 days after last card was opened.

I got Delta Gold in August and Hilton Aspire in October - both personal cards. FICO score on file with Amex 689

That's the nicest denial I've ever seen. It's basically an invite to come back and get your card when the time is ripe Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 6
ScorpioRising
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's too bad but at least you can re-apply after 3 months, most likely in Dec/Jan. Good luck. 

Message 3 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Correct. The 2/90 rule is a fairly known practice that applies to any AmEx revolving CC application (personal and/or biz). Also, keep in mind that if you were not eligible for a SUB on your last approved CC (i.e. Hilton) it's fairly possible the same may apply on the next card, but YEMV. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStarThanks for the confirmation on the 2/90 rule.  What insight might you have on what triggers the no SUB pop-up? I called several times to try to get them to override the no SUB on the Aspire - unsuccessful.  I was more fustrated at the fact that I couldn't get anything beyond a generic script for no SUB.

Message 5 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStarThanks for the confirmation on the 2/90 rule.  What insight might you have on what triggers the no SUB pop-up? I called several times to try to get them to override the no SUB on the Aspire - unsuccessful.  I was more fustrated at the fact that I couldn't get anything beyond a generic script for no SUB.

Unfortunately, the secret code hasn't been cracked yet as far as how AmEx determines when a SUB is ineligible.  And, yes, regardless how many times people call, they simply won't budge as far as overriding the SUB.

Possible theories can include if AmEx (somehow) determines if you're a rewards churner, have opened and/or closed several accounts (whether with AmEx or other lenders) in a specific timeframe, exhibit rewards abuse characteristics, obtained a SUB on one (or several) of their cards then stopped using said card(s), etc, etc. Since decisions are typically performed by internal algorithms, it's fairly difficult to obtain specifics (other than the obvious known reasons) since it's all based at their sole discretion.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.