Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Biz Gold: "Chose a 3X Points Category Today"

tag
vikingred
Frequent Contributor

Amex Biz Gold: "Chose a 3X Points Category Today"

Just got this in E-Mail from Amex:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're excited to introduce a new feature to your Business Gold Rewards Card - choice.

As a Business Gold Rewards Card Member you can now choose from our five Membership Rewards® points categories where you'd like to earn 3X points for your business.

During the next two months, choose your 3X points category from the list below:

• Airfare purchased directly from airlines
  • U.S. purchases for advertising in select media
  • U.S. purchases at gas stations
  • U.S. purchases for shipping
  • U.S. computer hardware, software, and cloud computing purchases made directly from select providers

The best part is that you'll still be able to earn:

• 2X points on the remaining four categories above
  • 1X points on other purchases

3X and 2X apply to the first $100,000 in purchases in each of the 5 industry categories per year, 1X point thereafter.

Visit open.com/businessgold or call the number on the back of your Card to make your 3X points selection.

We hope that you will find your Business Gold Rewards Card even more rewarding for you and your business.

Thank you for your Card Membership.

American Express Customer Care

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting.  Discuss.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Biz Gold: "Chose a 3X Points Category Today"

@Vinkingred,

I received the same thing.  But I don't like how it is limited as I have to charge a large amount next week.  I am better off putting it on the INK than the Amex. because I won't be getting much back.

Message 2 of 9
vikingred
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Vinkingred,

I received the same thing.  But I don't like how it is limited as I have to charge a large amount next week.  I am better off putting it on the INK than the Amex. because I won't be getting much back.

Yeah I have the Ink, too.   And I'm wondering how to pick the category for the Amex because honestly none of them are a big spend for me.  The fine print says you can change the category only once per year, so like if I know it's the year I'm going to upgrade a lot of my technology and computer equipment then I may choose that one.  But I never advertise, and I have corp gas cards, so I'm not sure what I'll do.  I'm actually diggin my Chase Ink as much as my Biz Gold.  Nice to spread out the spend, and also for those merchants who don't take Amex.  Plus, neither gets reported on personal bureaus  ;-)

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vikingred wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Vinkingred,

Yeah I have the Ink, too.   And I'm wondering how to pick the category for the Amex because honestly none of them are a big spend for me.  The fine print says you can change the category only once per year, so like if I know it's the year I'm going to upgrade a lot of my technology and computer equipment then I may choose that one.  But I never advertise, and I have corp gas cards, so I'm not sure what I'll do.  I'm actually diggin my Chase Ink as much as my Biz Gold.  Nice to spread out the spend, and also for those merchants who don't take Amex.  Plus, neither gets reported on personal bureaus  ;-)

@vikingred,

I am with you on that one... Personally, I think the Ink card from Chase has a slight edge over the Amex Gold Biz card.  And with it not reporting is the caveatSmiley Tongue I love that...

Message 4 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Is this a permanent change or just a promotional bit?  Cloud and computing equipment is a non-trivial future expense for any of my crap, and for smaller amounts that can't really be financed early anyway, this might be the second business card I've been looking for (after the most excellent Chase Ink).

        
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Is this a permanent change or just a promotional bit?  Cloud and computing equipment is a non-trivial future expense for any of my crap, and for smaller amounts that can't really be financed early anyway, this might be the second business card I've been looking for (after the most excellent Chase Ink).

@Relevate,

@I think it is promotional and not set in stone.  But I am going to ask unless @vikingred knows the answer.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, the US Bank Select Rewards looks better to me.  3 points on more than one category.

Message 7 of 9
vikingred
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Relevate,

@I think it is promotional and not set in stone.  But I am going to ask unless @vikingred knows the answer.

I'm not totally for sure, but I actually received a snail-mail letter about it a week ago.  Seems to me like it's a perma-change.  Like "we're going to do  it this way from now on" sort of feel to it.  I tossed the letter, so I don't have it.  But yeah.  I love the Biz Gold, it has that "look" you know.  And I feel like boss when I PIF 4-5k every month.  Boss!

Message 8 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@vikingred wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Relevate,

I'm not totally for sure, but I actually received a snail-mail letter about it a week ago.  Seems to me like it's a perma-change.  Like "we're going to do  it this way from now on" sort of feel to it.  I tossed the letter, so I don't have it.  But yeah.  I love the Biz Gold, it has that "look" you know.  And I feel like boss when I PIF 4-5k every month.  Boss!

Well hey, it's now on the business card section of Amex; would've sworn I looked at that before a week ago and didn't see it.

Sure seems permanent based on their current advertising, and the other categories don't suck either for many different small business / startup types.  Definitely will be seeing if I can PG this card after the new FEIN is setup.  Very little overlap with the Ink Cash, nice combo.

Thanks for the heads up!

        
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.