Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Biz card Questions

tag
Crash_Log
Valued Member

Amex Biz card Questions

Howdy Folks!

I have looked around for these questions/answers and either have confused myself or not settled with the results. I have an LLC, created in 2021. Small publishing/ design project of my own. I have the BBP (SL 10K applied 12/21). And for data, I have the EIN and DUNS number, physical address..it's a legit thing that currently makes less than it spends but I'm just starting. I do have a day job, annual salary is about 100k (98 base with some extras) and my other Amex card is a personal Bonvoy (25k CL applied 10/21). My personal scores are 740/740/775. 

So here we go. 

1) When it comes to Buisness cards, with Amex only, how much does velocity matter or when should I begin to be concerned in applying to often? Im aiming for 2 more Biz cards this year (Gold and Bonvoy). I know Chase is velocity weary but Im unclear with Amex. Directly speaking is 30 days to short? 45? Is 90 recommended? 

2) Right now, if I go to the personal side and open the apply, I get the "pre-approved" for whatever card I look at, Gold/Plat.. But on the Biz side I only see, 'Extending you membership is easy with us" and then is says the name of my LLC. I glean but cannot grasp that that might mean my app is 'maybe' approval. But is that typical Biz vs Personal? Perhaps Biz never says pre-approved? 

Im trying to time these things right, at some point this year I'll easily have the spend for the Gold card but Im trying to determine what that timing is for Amex too. Any and all thoughts appreciated! 

Edit: now I see a thread where I have a concrete grasp! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
arn0822
Valued Member

Re: Amex Biz card Questions

There is a 90 day wait time with a 2 card maximum between applications. 

Started establishing business credit 08/2021.
AMEX Amazon Business Prime | AMEX Lowes 4PROS| FNBO | Quill | Uline |Grainger | Floor & Decor | ExxonMobile | Capital One Sparks Business | Amazon Business Credit Net 30 | Amazon Net 55 | Office Max/Office Depot
Message 2 of 6
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

1) AFAIK the charge cards - business or personal - don't have any velocity limits since you can have all of them if so desired. The revolvers are a little more involved since AMEX institutes how many can be applied for in a period of time. Two approvals at most every 90 days, believe you have to wait 5-7 days after last revolver approval before applying for another otherwise it will auto-deny I think. So in your case you can apply for both if so desired at the same time and get approved for them as long as AMEX loves your profile

2) From checking my own account online just now and clicking a few business cards I don't have I get the same message. One I even know they have been sending mail offers for so I know they want me to get the card. I wouldn't worry too much about not seeing the same pre-approval message like you do with the personal cards. If AMEX has a card you want and fits your spend then I say go for it. AMEX will let you have as many cards as you want as long as you use and pay them off. I say no worries really

Message 3 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would apply for both now... the bonvoy first and then charge card.

Message 4 of 6
Crash_Log
Valued Member

Thank you all and thank you @arn0822 , @simplynoir and @Creditaddict 

I was about to apply and I reviewed all my own data points first and realized that apparently I like applying for new credit about this time of the month as three of my seven cards are right about in the payment/closing period. So, I'll delay about 10 days here to not have 4 of 8 all bunched up. After that Im going to hold for the Biz Gold to about August. I need to replace my computer and Im trapped in the walled garden of apple. New tech from them isn't due (now) to fall and the gold's 10k on spend knocked out by a 5K computer is the plan (+the 4x on computer hardware...). but during this time I've realized what a decent little product the personal green card is...I have feeling that might keep me at 7/24 after all. 

Ramble ramble ramble. 

Thanks again all, super helpful!

Message 5 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Crash_Log wrote:

Howdy Folks!

I have looked around for these questions/answers and either have confused myself or not settled with the results. I have an LLC, created in 2021. Small publishing/ design project of my own. I have the BBP (SL 10K applied 12/21). And for data, I have the EIN and DUNS number, physical address..it's a legit thing that currently makes less than it spends but I'm just starting. I do have a day job, annual salary is about 100k (98 base with some extras) and my other Amex card is a personal Bonvoy (25k CL applied 10/21). My personal scores are 740/740/775. 

So here we go. 

1) When it comes to Buisness cards, with Amex only, how much does velocity matter or when should I begin to be concerned in applying to often? Im aiming for 2 more Biz cards this year (Gold and Bonvoy). I know Chase is velocity weary but Im unclear with Amex. Directly speaking is 30 days to short? 45? Is 90 recommended? 

2) Right now, if I go to the personal side and open the apply, I get the "pre-approved" for whatever card I look at, Gold/Plat.. But on the Biz side I only see, 'Extending you membership is easy with us" and then is says the name of my LLC. I glean but cannot grasp that that might mean my app is 'maybe' approval. But is that typical Biz vs Personal? Perhaps Biz never says pre-approved? 

Im trying to time these things right, at some point this year I'll easily have the spend for the Gold card but Im trying to determine what that timing is for Amex too. Any and all thoughts appreciated! 

Edit: now I see a thread where I have a concrete grasp! 

I don't understand why you're applying for multiple business cards when your business hasn't really gotten off the ground yet.

But as far as concerns over "velocity" Amex is less finicky than Chase about such things.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.