Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Biz plat on chopping block/retention offer

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Amex Biz plat on chopping block/retention offer

So I have an amex biz plat. I also have a new amerprise personal plat and a few month old Hilton Aspire card and a couple year old CSR. In terms of the buisness plat I believe the AF will post very soon. Most of my benefits are covered by other newer cards. Given this my question is if there is a retention offer for this card what would you consider a large enough retention to keep the card open in my situation? My gut reaction is if I renew I can get Dell x2 (for $200) and an airline credit of $200 before next renewal date. Bringing the AF down to $195. A lot of retention offers seem to be $100 statement credit, which is not going to be enough for me. The question is if they offer points. Anything less than 10k points in my mind is a non-starter. But if they offer 10-15k points without spend requirements or 20K+points with reasonable spend requirements where would you draw the line? My amex point redemptions go towards J and F redemptions on international flights. My feeling is that I won't get a very good retention offer but with the increase in AFs maybe Amex will be more desperate to keep people. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Biz plat on chopping block/retention offer

After tax the AF is about $140.  The best I did last year for RO was 20k MR for 5k spend,.  I was going to keep the card anyway because of the 35% MR rebate on redemptions, MR offers and 1.5x on over 5k.  

I like using the MR redemptions for some fights because they count toward status and miles.  So it’s a little better than 35% because of that.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 3
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Biz plat on chopping block/retention offer

I think with the recent curtailing of AA gift cards via the airline credit that any sort of retention offer is moot at this point, because I just don't see how this card retains value for me. I was on the fence before and with a strong enough retention offer (which honestly I wasn't expecting anyway) I may have held the card, but now with what it looks like is happening with AA GCs that was the final nail in the coffin. The card just does not make economical sense for me anymore. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.