Amex Business Card as a Freelancer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Business Card as a Freelancer

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
@+1 @Anonymous

I cold app’d my platinum and then the gold when applied. I didn’t have any prequalifications. After getting the cards, I met MS for both within a week, but I didn’t get any pre-qual until first statement posted but those were for co-branded cards like Hilton and SPG. Just for extra DP: I don’t currently prequalify for any of Amex core revolving credit cards (BC/ED/etc) but I pulled the trigger on the BBP and approved for a $2K limit only, but that’s fine with me as I prefer paying off every time my transactions post, so it’s up to you if you would like to try.

You know, it's all so weird. Before I apped for the Gold I prequalified for the Gold as well as the Everyday and the Blue Cash Everyday. After I applied for and was approved for the Gold, all the other prequalifications went away. First statement on the Gold should post today so I'll check to see if anything changes after I pay.

If you are relatively new to credit and new to Amex, Amex may want you to wade into the pool slowly while you get to know each other. Preapproved/qualified for any one card is not the same as preapproved to have every card simultaneously.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@+1 @Anonymous

I cold app’d my platinum and then the gold when applied. I didn’t have any prequalifications. After getting the cards, I met MS for both within a week, but I didn’t get any pre-qual until first statement posted but those were for co-branded cards like Hilton and SPG. Just for extra DP: I don’t currently prequalify for any of Amex core revolving credit cards (BC/ED/etc) but I pulled the trigger on the BBP and approved for a $2K limit only, but that’s fine with me as I prefer paying off every time my transactions post, so it’s up to you if you would like to try.

Did you get any hard pulls for the BBP? The thicker your credit file and greater your Amex experience, the greater the chance of Amex extending credit without a hard pull. May or may not matter in the long run, but the thrill of credit with no hard pull has not waned for me yet.

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah my guess is that profiles that are barely on the fence of what Amex is looking for in their UW will have different preapprovals  and any subsequent drops or raise in points that Amex see via sp triggers other cards to go in and out of pre-qualifications. Granted I still feel like Amex has been pretty generous on approvals on my end.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Did you get any hard pulls for the BBP? The thicker your credit file and greater your Amex experience, the greater the chance of Amex extending credit without a hard pull. May or may not matter in the long run, but the thrill of credit with no hard pull has not waned for me yet.

Well crossing my fingers, I still haven’t gotten any HP on the BBP or the BRG. But then again, just between the personal platinum and gold, I already put in 20K+ in spends within 2 months and didn’t hand less than $100 balance on the cutoff. Neither have been reported to any CRA yet, and none of my SUBs posted past Pending Points summary page. The SP approval definitely is something that wins my business, on top of the 3X CLI that everyone seem to report here which I’m really looking forward to utilizing when I get a personal Amex revolver.

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally pulled the trigger on this. Approved with a $2K SL. Doesn't appear to be a hard pull, no alerts as of yet. Thanks for all the advice and feedback.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I didn’t get any hard pull either and it’s been quite some time, so you should be good to go too! Time to mark down that calendar for the CLI!!
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats! I didn’t get any hard pull either and it’s been quite some time, so you should be good to go too! Time to mark down that calendar for the CLI!!

Thanks! Does the 61 day CLI apply to business cards as well?

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks! Does the 61 day CLI apply to business cards as well?

Yes any CLI ‘rules’ for Amex apply to business cards just the same as personal ones.  Just keep in mind that CLIs are account wide with Amex, not individual cards.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes any CLI ‘rules’ for Amex apply to business cards just the same as personal ones.  Just keep in mind that CLIs are account wide with Amex, not individual cards.

Do you mean if one gets a CLI on a Hilton card on Jan 1st, they can't get a CLI on an EDP or any other revolver card for 180 days, or does it reset to 60?

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you mean if one gets a CLI on a Hilton card on Jan 1st, they can't get a CLI on an EDP or any other revolver card for 180 days, or does it reset to 60?

Yes, that's exactly what happens. You would have to wait the 180 days. Auto CLIs though arent affected by those rules.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.