cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Business Card as a Freelancer

Your FICO® Scores can impact your loan interest rates, terms, approvals and more.
New Contributor

Amex Business Card as a Freelancer

So, I'm trying a build an Amex trifecta of MR earning cards. The Amex BBP seems to be the perfect sweeper card because it earns 2x points on all purchases. I don't own a company but I do conduct business regularly as a freelancer. Am I be eligible for this card or do I need to have a registered LLC?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Business Card as a Freelancer

Freelance work is fine. No LLC is necessary.

 

That said, you will be guaranteeing the debt personally, and Amex may ask to see your tax returns, especially if you start requesting big CLIs.

 

If it's a new business from 2018, Amex will understand you may not have filed a return yet, but you may get a relatively low CL.

Most spend: CSR, CFU, BBP, Costco, BCP
Rewards/AAoA ballast: CF, Discover, ED, Arrival, Double Cash
Perks: Schwab Platinum, IHG49, Hyatt75, Brilliant, Delta Platinum, Aviator Red
Plan to close: Savor
Message 2 of 20
New Contributor

Re: Amex Business Card as a Freelancer


@wasCB14 wrote:

Freelance work is fine. No LLC is necessary.

 

That said, you will be guaranteeing the debt personally, and Amex may ask to see your tax returns, especially if you start requesting big CLIs.

 

If it's a new business from 2018, Amex will understand you may not have filed a return yet, but you may get a relatively low CL.


Great, sounds simple enough. Is there any special documentation that I'll need to provide for the application?

Message 3 of 20
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Business Card as a Freelancer


@AlexCredible wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Freelance work is fine. No LLC is necessary.

 

That said, you will be guaranteeing the debt personally, and Amex may ask to see your tax returns, especially if you start requesting big CLIs.

 

If it's a new business from 2018, Amex will understand you may not have filed a return yet, but you may get a relatively low CL.


Great, sounds simple enough. Is there any special documentation that I'll need to provide for the application?


They didn't ask me for any. I applied for mine over the phone and got instant approval.

Most spend: CSR, CFU, BBP, Costco, BCP
Rewards/AAoA ballast: CF, Discover, ED, Arrival, Double Cash
Perks: Schwab Platinum, IHG49, Hyatt75, Brilliant, Delta Platinum, Aviator Red
Plan to close: Savor
Message 4 of 20
New Contributor

Re: Amex Business Card as a Freelancer

Got it. Thanks!

Message 5 of 20
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Business Card as a Freelancer

I do not believe your Amex online will show preapprovals for small business cards, but consider checking for Amex Everyday preapproval as a proxy check. If no preapproval showing for Amex Everyday, then lower approval odds for the similar business card.

Navigate to Amex Everyday while logged on. Check whether it says "Congratulations you are preapproved" vs "Expanding your membership is easy."
How long have you had your Amex Charge card? All factors held constant, longer is better.
Message 6 of 20
Contributor

Re: Amex Business Card as a Freelancer

You should be able to just use your SSN as sole proprietor for your freelance work. I didn’t get any request for paperwork on my end, but if they do, it’s possible they’ll ask for any 1099 or something that says you’re getting paid outside of your regular job. Even just a PayPal or Venmo document that shows you’re getting paid will probably work.
Gardening till 12/2019!




Message 7 of 20
New Contributor

Re: Amex Business Card as a Freelancer


@TheRationalConsumer wrote:
I do not believe your Amex online will show preapprovals for small business cards, but consider checking for Amex Everyday preapproval as a proxy check. If no preapproval showing for Amex Everyday, then lower approval odds for the similar business card.

Navigate to Amex Everyday while logged on. Check whether it says "Congratulations you are preapproved" vs "Expanding your membership is easy."
How long have you had your Amex Charge card? All factors held constant, longer is better.

Not even a full month yet. I'm not planning on applying for the BBP right away. I'm considering applying for it along with the Platinum in 3 months if i'm preapproved for them by then.

Message 8 of 20
Contributor

Re: Amex Business Card as a Freelancer

+1 @TheRationalConsumer

I cold app’d my platinum and then the gold when applied. I didn’t have any prequalifications. After getting the cards, I met MS for both within a week, but I didn’t get any pre-qual until first statement posted but those were for co-branded cards like Hilton and SPG. Just for extra DP: I don’t currently prequalify for any of Amex core revolving credit cards (BC/ED/etc) but I pulled the trigger on the BBP and approved for a $2K limit only, but that’s fine with me as I prefer paying off every time my transactions post, so it’s up to you if you would like to try.
Gardening till 12/2019!




Message 9 of 20
New Contributor

Re: Amex Business Card as a Freelancer


@chriz_r wrote:
@+1 @TheRationalConsumer

I cold app’d my platinum and then the gold when applied. I didn’t have any prequalifications. After getting the cards, I met MS for both within a week, but I didn’t get any pre-qual until first statement posted but those were for co-branded cards like Hilton and SPG. Just for extra DP: I don’t currently prequalify for any of Amex core revolving credit cards (BC/ED/etc) but I pulled the trigger on the BBP and approved for a $2K limit only, but that’s fine with me as I prefer paying off every time my transactions post, so it’s up to you if you would like to try.

You know, it's all so weird. Before I apped for the Gold I prequalified for the Gold as well as the Everyday and the Blue Cash Everyday. After I applied for and was approved for the Gold, all the other prequalifications went away. First statement on the Gold should post today so I'll check to see if anything changes after I pay.

Message 10 of 20