Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Business Platinum Questions

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Amex Business Platinum Questions

I am thinking of getting an Amex Business Platinum for a family real estate rental business (technically two trusts). After failing to get a BBP in the name of either trust, I may apply as a Sole Proprietor and simply be reimbursed by the trusts on my spending.

Questions:

1. What is the additional annual fee for one Additional Card Member to have a Platinum with lounge access, etc.? $175 or something else? Would the second or third ACM be free, once the $175 for the first ACM is paid?

2. An ACM with a Platinum gets 1.5x on transactions over $5k, right? Not just the primary?

3. I can add an ACM with a Green Business card for free, right?

4. Would an ACM with a Green card still get the 1.5x on transactions over $5k?

5. Other than lacking lounge access , hotel status, and various travel perks that may be of limited value to a not-that-frequent traveler, would there be any major shortcomings of a Green vs. a Platinum for an ACM?

6. There may be significant appliance spend (fixing up apartments with deferred maintenance). I take it an ACM with a Green gets the same extended warranty and purchase protection as the Platinum?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Business Platinum Questions

1. $300 per Platinum, $45 per Gold, $0 per Green.  There is no 3-for-1 deal like there is on personal cards.

2. Yes, all charges of $5,000 or more earn 1.5x.  No matter which card is used, ALL earnings rates are the same.

3. That is correct, or you can give them a Gold for $45 which (believe it or not) is only a cosmetic difference from Green and has no other benefits.

4. Yes.  They'll earn 1.5x on purchases over $5k, purchases in the new 1.5x categories, 5x on Amex Travel, etc.  ALL earnings are identical to the business owner's primary card whether the charge is placed on an employee Platinum, Gold, or Green card.

5. No.  Other than the travel perks being absent for the employee it's the same account and card.

6. That's correct.  The purchase protections are identical.

(In addition to the Amex cards in my signature, I have had a Green employee card on a Business Platinum Card for a number of years at work and while I am not the primary account holder, I am the primary spender (95+%) and account manager on the card.  I routinely make very large purchases on the card and get 1.5x back for $5k+ all the time.)

Message 2 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Good to know, thanks! Sounds like it will be best to go with the Green ACM.

Message 3 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Applied as a sole proprietor and approved. Smiley Happy

The business name is just my name, but the proper route (applying in the name of a trust) already failed.

150k/$15k/3 months.

There will be some contractors unwilling to take CC and others unwilling to take Amex, so if it comes down to it I can always pay some estimated taxes to meet minimum spend, then claim a big refund in a few months.

Message 4 of 9
uoyankee
New Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

The business name is just my name, but the proper route (applying in the name of a trust) already failed.

150k/$15k/3 months.

There will be some contractors unwilling to take CC and others unwilling to take Amex, so if it comes down to it I can always pay some estimated taxes to meet minimum spend, then claim a big refund in a few months.

If the contractor doesn't take Amex, you can always see if they'll accept plastiq. You'll pay a fee (2.85%) but it'll count towards MSR and is worth it for the bonus. It's just a check for the contractor so they should be okay with it as long as it doesn't confuse them.  

Message 5 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@uoyankee wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

150k/$15k/3 months.

If the contractor doesn't take Amex, you can always see if they'll accept plastiq. You'll pay a fee (2.85%) but it'll count towards MSR and is worth it for the bonus. It's just a check for the contractor so they should be okay with it as long as it doesn't confuse them.  

It's a possibility. But smaller handymen (1-2 person teams) usually like to be paid on the spot once they complete their work and I inspect it - assuming they don't want an up-front deposit of ~30% for materials.

I'm not sure how warmly "You'll get a check in the mail in a few days" would be received.

Message 6 of 9
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats on your approval @wasCB14 

Message 7 of 9
ToughFistFight
Frequent Contributor

Over the weekend I received an email offer to upgrade for 140k for 10k spend in 3 months.   The other perk was 1.5 points on construction materials and hardware supplies.  Thats a perk I was not aware of. 

Chase Business Ink 20k PenFed Plat Rewards VS 25k NFCU Go Rewards 20k BECU 30k Chase FU 6k GM Biz 21k NFCU Flag 21k Amex BCP 26k Disco IT 18k FNBO Biz 11k Costco Citi Biz 8.1k Amex EDP 2k Gold Delta Skymiles Biz 5k Amazon Prime 10k USBank Cash 12k Amex Biz Plat Rewards NPSL Amex BCB NPSL
Message 8 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

So a $5k+ purchase of construction materials earns what multiple? 1.5x? 2x? 2.25x?

*Also that's a great upgrade offer!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.