cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum 75K sign up bonus - is it worth it?

tag
Schmoopy
New Contributor

Amex Platinum 75K sign up bonus - is it worth it?

Hey guys,

So I have Amex Gold. I got an offer to apply for business platinum for a 75K sign up bonus for $5K spending only. The annual fee is $450 but it'll go to $595 at the end of January. So it might be a good time to get it.

Unsure if it's worth it for me. I do travel for business but not too frequent (2-3 times a year to Europe). My home hub is LAX.

I already have the TSA credit with BofA Premium Rewards card. And an airline credit of $100 with that card and $100 with the gold card. So not sure I can use overall $400 for incidentals a year. Do you think it's worth it?
Thanks

8/2017 Experian 684 | 11/2017 Transunion 640 | 10/25/2018 Experian 784, Transunion 711, Equifax 707 | 11/1/2018 Experian 797, Transunion 709, Equifax 709 | 2/20/2021 Experian 744, Transunion 716, Equifax 703 | 1/29/2022 Experian 695, Transunion 700, Equifax 700 | 6/11/2022 Experian 792, Transunion 749, Equifax 742 | 8/4/2022 Experian 757, Transunion 782, Equifax 745 | 3/22/2023 Experian 817, Transunion 825, Equifax 827
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Berk
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum 75K sign up bonus - is it worth it?

Only if you do.

And by you asking the question I'm guessing your answer is "No."

I have the card because it works for me with all the travel I do on Delta. If I didn't fly Delta, I wouldn't have the card.

Message 2 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Worth it is subjective OP. This largely depends on your spend and whether you can quantify the benefits/perks.

While the SUB is of great appeal, it would be pointless of getting the card if you won't fully utilize those benefits within the alloted timeframe. Have you done the math to at least see how you can achieve the incidentals portion?
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Schmoopy wrote:

Hey guys,

So I have Amex Gold. I got an offer to apply for business platinum for a 75K sign up bonus for $5K spending only. The annual fee is $450 but it'll go to $595 at the end of January. So it might be a good time to get it.

Unsure if it's worth it for me. I do travel for business but not too frequent (2-3 times a year to Europe). My home hub is LAX.

I already have the TSA credit with BofA Premium Rewards card. And an airline credit of $100 with that card and $100 with the gold card. So not sure I can use overall $400 for incidentals a year. Do you think it's worth it?
Thanks

I would say to get it. The only better SUB is 100K and that hasn't been offered in years (that's what originally got me to get this card). I travel 3-4 times a year to Florida every year and then 1-2 Euro trips. The 200 airline credit can be  almost used up in one trip between checked bags and incidentals these days. Just make sure to call amex and specify the airline before you travel. I also use the 200 in Uber credits and love that perk since they introduced it. So for me specifically that comes out to a net AF if about 195. So to me with all the additional perks that i don't use too much but are great to have when you need them (priority pass, amex lounges, concierge service etc) it makes a for a card thats well worth the 195 porting of the AF that i don't offset. 

But like others have said. Whats good for me may not be good for you.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

no, business plat is too restrictive. For 5k spending, you can ger personal plat. Business plat is only 5x if you book flight from amex travel. Its all around inferior than personal platinum.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure it's 75k for 5k spend and not like 50k for 5k spend then another 25k for another 5k spend? Read the smaller print, I haven't seen an offer for 75k for only 5k on business plat and I've seen people mix this up before.
Message 6 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I would agree, take a closer look at the targeted offer details OP since the current offer for the biz Platinum is 75K MR with the caveat of $10K spend for the first 50K MR and an additional $10K spend for the remaining 25K MR in 90 days.
Message 7 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

no, business plat is too restrictive. For 5k spending, you can ger personal plat. Business plat is only 5x if you book flight from amex travel. Its all around inferior than personal platinum.

Inferior is subjective.  I have both plats and biz 1.5x on purchases over 5k is good for me along w/ 35% rebate on MR redemptions works out well also.  Also, remember the AF is also tax deductible so the net AF is even less.

75k and 5k spend is a solid offer.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're dropping $5k for individual business expenses why not nab the blue business plus to get 2x instead of 1.5x?
Message 9 of 14
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

If that person has single business transactions of over $5k, chances are that they would easily hit the annual $50k 2x cap on the BBP, and then the Biz Plat goes back to being the superior earner. Might not even be worth their time if their spend is really high.
Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.