Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Pre-Approval Question

tag
jcooks
Established Contributor

Amex Pre-Approval Question

First, I am currently an Amex personal account holder.  I've been checking regularly for preapprovals through the website.  Does Amex offer any preapprovals for any of the business cards (considering I currently only have a personal Amex).  And also, are there any DPs on a soft pull for their first Amex business card?  Only thing I found on my searches were the fact that HP are definitely possible on any new cards on existing customers.

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Pre-Approval Question

If it gives you a pop-up upon login or an offer to apply is in your Amex offers, it should be pretty solid for biz cards

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes to business pre approvals. Hard pull ALWAYS possible. No expert here and do have Amex, 1 personal BCP and 1 business BBC (all I want or need). Find card you are interested in, click on apply and check language which is believed to be key of probability, hard or soft pull. My 1st personal, of course was HP. Business was SP with Get decision in 30 seconds language.

Expand your membership ..... most likely HP

Get decision 30 seconds ..... good chance SP

Pre approved ..... most likely SP

Could be wrong but this is my understanding

Maybe this helps, Good Luck!

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jcooks wrote:

First, I am currently an Amex personal account holder.  I've been checking regularly for preapprovals through the website.  Does Amex offer any preapprovals for any of the business cards (considering I currently only have a personal Amex).  And also, are there any DPs on a soft pull for their first Amex business card?  Only thing I found on my searches were the fact that HP are definitely possible on any new cards on existing customers.

I read a post a while back about this for business cards, and it worked for me.  Login to AMEX, then select browse business cards, then all cards, and if you are pre-approved for any card it will say accept this offer, and if you're not, it will say apply or apply now.  I had a BBP & Hilton Business and saw accept this offer on the Marriott business and was instantly approved for 10k.  Oh and if you do have accept this offer the form that loads is really short, vs the apply will be the long form.

Message 4 of 14
jcooks
Established Contributor

Do you guys recommend freezing my EX to ensure it will be a soft pull?  Or is that not recommended.Capture.PNG

Message 5 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I would leave it open and not freeze things that could potentially cause a verification issue.  At the end of the day, a HP isn't the end of the world.  If it turns out into a SP approval, then great 👍 

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with FinStar. Only you can decide if card is worth HP and if it is SP, all the better.

Message 7 of 14
jcooks
Established Contributor

Well I went for it and came up with pending.  A few seconds later I get an email that they came to a conclusion.  I click the links enter some info and showed denied.  No HP but when I try to check reasons it takes forever to load and states system maintenance of some sort.  Will report back when I can actually check the reasoning.  I was getting tons of preapprovals for the personal cards so I went for it.  Ball wasn't on my side of the court I guess.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear of denial but at least no HP.

Message 9 of 14
jcooks
Established Contributor

Is it my late payments from years ago that got me denied or because of my short history with Amex?  My last late was over 5 years ago.  No other derogs.  I'm just not sure if the listed derogs are explaining my fico or is that what I was denied for.

Capture.PNG

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.