cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Preapproved Question

tag
dabrahams

Amex Preapproved Question

When I check if I am preapproved for a Amex Business Card, I get different verbiage with different cards when I click apply. Some cards say "Extending your Membership with us is easy" which I realize is most likely a denial but other cards say "Get a decision in as little as 30 seconds" and then "This Business Card is for my business name"  but does not use my first name or business name at the beginning like the personal cards do when you are preapproved.  What does that mean in terms of preapproval? I currently have 1 business card and 1 personal card with Amex as of now.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Preapproved Question

@dabrahams wrote:

When I check if I am preapproved for a Amex Business Card, I get different verbiage with different cards when I click apply. Some cards say "Extending your Membership with us is easy" which I realize is most likely a denial but other cards say "Get a decision in as little as 30 seconds" and then "This Business Card is for my business name"  but does not use my first name or business name at the beginning like the personal cards do when you are preapproved.  What does that mean in terms of preapproval? I currently have 1 business card and 1 personal card with Amex as of now.

If I'm not mistaken it's the "Extending your membership with us is easy" language that connotes a preapproval.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 9
BlueMystic
New Contributor

@dabrahams wrote:

Are you sure those are all business applications? In my experience, the "Extending your membership..." language is typically used for personal card applications when you're logged in and not pre-approved for the product.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can search this forums and i believe its "get a decision in 30 seconds " is a pre approval and the other "extending you membership" isn't 

i have several business  and personal cards and when i'm signed in and i choose a business card i like and it says "get a decision" when scroll down my business  info is there "last 5 digits of one of my current cards " for me to click on and pre fill out app.

Message 4 of 9
BlueMystic
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can search this forums and i believe its "get a decision in 30 seconds " is a pre approval and the other "extending you membership" isn't 

i have several business  and personal cards and when i'm signed in and i choose a business card i like and it says "get a decision" when scroll down my business  info is there "last 5 digits of one of my current cards " for me to click on and pre fill out app.

I don't have a business card with AmEx, but let me describe how it works with personal cards.

If you're logged in (and the browser allows a certain type of cookie - for example, Chrome will require you to log in for each application page, while Firefox will not) to your existing personal AmEx account, and you click through to the application page for a personal card product, the messaging is as such:

"Expanding your membership is easy..." = NOT pre-approved

"You're pre-approved!" = pre-approved

As for business cards, my experience is limited to browsing business card products while logged into my personal account. The messaging only changes a little bit based on my being logged in, specifically:

When logged in to my personal account and viewing a business card application, I see "Get a decision in as little as 30 seconds" and immediately below it "Need a card for a different business?". At the bottom of the page, under the T&Cs I see "We have used information about you and/or your business on file with American Express to extend this offer to you." I am not sure if that means pre-approval or not, but I seriously doubt it. It would seem to me they could just say "You're Pre-Approved" the way they do with personal cards, but maybe they do not do that with business products.

When NOT logged in (or in incognito) when I visit the application page for a business card, I see the same "Get a decision in as little as 30 seconds", but (obviously) without the "Need a card for a different business?" and without the T&C language because they don't know I'm me. In the upper right there is the "Already a Card Member? Click Here."

So it's not at all clear to me that the "30 seconds" language means anything, because it looks like they say that to everyone. Maybe someone with an existing business account can tell us how/if their application experiences have been different.

Message 5 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Basically this.  The way I tried to do it was I landed on the splash page for the business card that I wanted; I remember seeing that get a decision in 30 seconds or so somewhere but not sure if that was before or after my logging in to "fill personal data" or whatever it was.

As soon as I did login though there was large blue lettering stating I was Preapproved, and the rest was easy with a kind of goofy limit extension as far as I was concerned.

        
Message 6 of 9
BlueMystic
New Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Basically this.  The way I tried to do it was I landed on the splash page for the business card that I wanted; I remember seeing that get a decision in 30 seconds or so somewhere but not sure if that was before or after my logging in to "fill personal data" or whatever it was.

As soon as I did login though there was large blue lettering stating I was Preapproved, and the rest was easy with a kind of goofy limit extension as far as I was concerned.

You say you agree with @Youknowho, but then you describe a very different scenario. Youknowwho said "get a decision in 30 seconds" is a pre-approval. But you said something quite different - that you saw clear pre-approval language once you logged in.

Message 7 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Not exactly no.

I was already on the splash page and then there was an apply link.

After hitting that there was an option to sign into my account to populate the information: after I did that was where it was saying I was pre-approved.

I am not sure if the decision in 30 seconds was before or after that point, really wasn’t paying that much attention but I do remember seeing it.

        
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if this helps or not.

I have 3 personal and 1 business card from AMEX (SimplyCash Plus Card)

Logged in the AMEX and I see all 4 cards.

If I apply for a personal card I get the "pre-approved" verbiage.

If I apply for a business card I get the "Get a decision in 30 seconds) verbiage.

It states "We have used information about you and/or your business on file with American Express to extend this offer to you" and "Need a card for a different business"

It also states 3 different rates based on credit worthiness.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.