cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex approvals post-(Short Term) Financial Relief Program?

tag
CBetc
Contributor

Amex approvals post-(Short Term) Financial Relief Program?

Looking for a little bit of guidance or DPs here.

I've had one business Amex Platinum since '17. Began carrying a balance, and then entered the short term financial relief program about a year ago as the pandemic wore on.

Recently exited, although I mostly kept my balance high on the card since the interest rate on it during the FRP was actually quite a bit lower than most of my other revolving or loans. Exited the FRB with a lump sum payment near the end last month, but have been charging and paying off increasingly more over the last few months. Post FRB, charged another ~$1000 and paid off immediately.

Earlier this year I applied for an Amazon Business Amex but received a Denial due to "Being in or within the last 12 months having been in a Financial Relief Program"

My credit has improved significantly since the worst of the pandemic and I'm now above 800 FICO on all three bureaus.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on the possibility of pleading my case to Amex on an approval for a new card? I'd very much like to get the Amex Bonvoy Business as I expect to be doing a lot more travel in the coming 2-14 months, and the bonuses available would be quite nice. I'm fairly certain my Business Platinum can't be PC'd to the Bonvoy card, but I figured it can't hurt to call in and ask. I'm just wondering if there's a good way to approach the situation with the agent.

Relatedly: I've heard conflicting reports on whether the SP that Amex would do for an account review (likely from Experian) is a current SP, or is asynchronous and delayed from whenever they last did a pull of their own accord. The FICO scores would be probably 80 points lower, which probably wouldn't be ideal for me, if the latter were the case. I've been reloading the personal Amex PreQual page (even though I don't have a personal card) to look for any change in recommendations, but I'm hoping that that itself doesn't trigger flags like the "Check your Spending Power" link reportedly does.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Re: Amex approvals post-(Short Term) Financial Relief Program?

Personally, I'd wait at least 6 months and try. If you just finished the payment program, I would apply at least in March next year. What are you current scores?

Current Cards:
Message 2 of 4
CBetc
Contributor

@CreditPacMan wrote:

Personally, I'd wait at least 6 months and try. If you just finished the payment program, I would apply at least in March next year. What are you current scores?

FICO8 ~830; FICO Bankcard 8 ~850

I ended up calling in yesterday to speak to the agent and she suggested that 35 days after exiting the FRP (or the final statement cut date) would be the minimum, but it would be OK to at least try after that. It's been about two weeks so far, and I noticed that they recently re-enabled Pay-Over-Time for me, so I suppose that's a good sign. I'll try then and report back.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can't PC a charge card to a credit card, or an MR card to a partner points-earning card.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.