Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex business Card at default -Not my business

tag
cabronsaim
Contributor

Amex business Card at default -Not my business

I work as a manager for a small business that belongs to a family member.

About 6-7  years ago I opened a business credit card with Amex on my name for the business and used it actively for several years untill the business started going down and the bill started to grow. About 9 months ago Amex cancelled the card on me.

The bill is currently about $24k

It's been now about 3 months I haven't sent a payment and they have not hit my credit rating.

How does this work legally if I can't pay this?

The business isn't mine and neither is the debt. But the Card was open in my name.

I can't remember if they asked for the business Tax Id.

They surely have my SSN as I had a personal account with them too. The personal account is paid and closed.

3/30/12: EX: 680 TU:667 EQ: 655
4/14/12: EX: 680 TU:678 EQ: 670

BOFA: 0/1k / CAP1: 0/1.75k / CITI: 700/2k / AMEX Gold:NPSL
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex business Carr at default -Not my business

Hello,

You may want to ask this question in the Business Credit section of the forum:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Business-Credit/bd-p/businesscredit

American Express does not report business credit to personal credit reports which is why the lates have not yet impacted you.

However, most American Express small business cards are personally guaranteed, which means that the primary applicant of the account will be personally responsible for all charges and payments to the card. 

I do not have any personal experience with past due American Express small business cards; however, I would expect that collection activity will begin and those more than likely will impact your personal scores and credit. 

You may need to clarify whom opened the account for better advice from other forum members. I am a bit confused by whom actually opened the credit card. If you were simply an authorized user, you may not be responsible for the debt. If the last 5 of your account number is say 10015 that would indicate that you are an authorized user. If it ends 10001 with the zero second-to-last, you are the primary cardholder. 

Message 2 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@cabronsaim wrote:

About 6-7  years ago I opened a business credit card with Amex on my name for the business and used it actively for several years untill the business started going down and the bill started to grow. About 9 months ago Amex cancelled the card on me.

It's been now about 3 months I haven't sent a payment and they have not hit my credit rating.

The business isn't mine and neither is the debt. But the Card was open in my name.

They surely have my SSN as I had a personal account with them too. The personal account is paid and closed.

That would depend on the circumstances under which the card was opened.  

f the business had been established enough to be issued a line of credit directly by AMEX then you normally wouldn't be personally liable.   However if you had guaranteed it personally you're responsible for payment regardless of the state of the business entity. 

I suspect this would be better served in the business card section. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Amex business cards will report on the primary cardholder's credit reports if they become delinquent.

Yes, Amex always asks for the EIN when opening an account, and will accept SSN as the EIN for a sole proprieter.  To open the card, you would have needed to state that you had a principal relationship to the business.  Were you only an employee with no ownership in the company, or not named as an officer in the incorporation?  

If the card was personally guaranteed by you, it is your debt.

Message 4 of 9
cabronsaim
Contributor

I am not legally an owner but the business is to be my inheritance in the future. If it still exists.

I don't remember what I stated on the application.

Message 5 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

In most cases for the small business side of Amex, there would be a PG involved.  I would call Amex to clarify your responsibility on the account and see what payment arrangements might be made in order to prevent the card from becoming further delinquent.  If there was no actual business interest, that means that things were misrepresented during the application, which can have further consequences.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex business Card at default -Not my business

@cabronsaim wrote:

Based on what you said, it's very likely an account based on your personal guarantee. I'll second the suggestion to call them and clarify whether it was in your name or another business principal.

If it was in your name/personal-guarantee then it is your debt. You owe Amex. The business would then owe you. If the business went downhill then you would have to attempt to recoup the debt from the business itself or its principals depending on how it was setup and protected.

This amount of money is definitely in the range where you'd want to discuss it with a lawyer to protect your interests and find a solution.

Message 7 of 9
cabronsaim
Contributor

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Message 8 of 9
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Amex has a hardship program, I would reach out to them and work a payment plan out before it is sent to collections and they report to your personal credit. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.