Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex has lost their minds

tag
Howaboutthat
Frequent Contributor

Amex has lost their minds

Got three pre approved offers from Amex today, two through email and one one the website. The cards are Amex Business Gold Card, Amex Cash Magnet with an rsvp code and finally the Amex Blue Business Card. My scores are Tu 676, Ex 679 and EQ 682 all Fico 8. I won't be going for any of them as I'm going for a home refinance. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex has lost their minds

Agreed!

Something is going on with Amex for sure.

I got PRE-APPROVED offers within the last month:

Business Platinum

Business Gold

Blue Business Cash

Not sure what to do since I just got a $13K Amazon Prime Business Amex card this week...

Message 2 of 8
Alephbet
Regular Contributor

They must be getting very aggressive on their marketing because I received a message at login that I was invited to apply for my second Business Platinum a few weeks ago with 150,000 MR points offer even though I already have one from about 20 months ago and got a bonus then. I applied, was approved, and then called in to verify that I could still get the bonus even though I already have received one. The rep assured me that I was just expanding my AMEX relationship and I would get the bonus. Indeed, he was right since I received the bonus yesterday. Then a few days later I got an offer for a second Business Gold with a total of 100,000 MR points even though I also have another Business Gold and got a bonus in the same 20 months ago timeframe. After I was approved for both of those cards, I received another offer for another Business Platinum with the card numbers for my first Business Platinum in the top left of the email so it was definitely targeted. I was also approved on the same day the second Business Platinum was approved when I applied for the Amazon Business Prime card. It seems like AMEX is loosening up approvals and very aggresively marketing as well.

Bold are regularly used for spending
AOD Visa Signature | Curve Card | X1 Credit Card | Target RedCard | Venmo Card
AMEX: Schwab Platinum | 2 x Gold | Green | 2 x Business Platinum | 2 x Business Gold | Blue Business Plus
AMEX: Amazon Business Prime | Delta Reserve | Delta Reserve Business | Marriott Bonvoy Business
Chase: Aeroplan | Amazon Prime | World of Hyatt | World of Hyatt Business | Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
Chase: Ink Business Cash | Ink Business Preferred | Southwest Performance Business
BofA: Alaska Airlines Business | Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards
Citi AAdvantage Executive | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Business
U.S. Bank Business Triple Cash Rewards | U.S. Bank Business Platinum | GM Business Card
Apple Card | Navy Federal Flagship Rewards | PenFed Gold | PenFed Platinum Rewards
Capital One Platinum | Capital One QuicksilverOne | FNBO Evergreen Business
Player 2: Delta Platinum AMEX | Chase Freedom | 2 x Chase Freedom Flex | Apple Card
Message 3 of 8
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

@Alephbet wrote:

They must be getting very aggressive on their marketing because I received a message at login that I was invited to apply for my second Business Platinum a few weeks ago with 150,000 MR points offer even though I already have one from about 20 months ago and got a bonus then. I applied, was approved, and then called in to verify that I could still get the bonus even though I already have received one. The rep assured me that I was just expanding my AMEX relationship and I would get the bonus. Indeed, he was right since I received the bonus yesterday. Then a few days later I got an offer for a second Business Gold with a total of 100,000 MR points even though I also have another Business Gold and got a bonus in the same 20 months ago timeframe. After I was approved for both of those cards, I received another offer for another Business Platinum with the card numbers for my first Business Platinum in the top left of the email so it was definitely targeted. I was also approved on the same day the second Business Platinum was approved when I applied for the Amazon Business Prime card. It seems like AMEX is loosening up approvals and very aggresively marketing as well.

I had no idea you can get 2 of the same product and then some!

You are correct, Amex must be doing some type of heavy marketing and loosening UW in order to gain more accounts.

I wonder if Amex is having $ issues with people downgrading or cancelling their accounts as a result of post-pandemic ?

Message 4 of 8
Alephbet
Regular Contributor

@4sallypat wrote:

I had no idea you can get 2 of the same product and then some!

You are correct, Amex must be doing some type of heavy marketing and loosening UW in order to gain more accounts.

I wonder if Amex is having $ issues with people downgrading or cancelling their accounts as a result of post-pandemic ?

I did try that third application for a Business Platinum and was denied with the reason given that I was just approved for the same card which is true. It is possible to have multiple of the same AMEX cards, particularly charge cards. It is not unusual for people with advertising spend in excess of $150,000 to have multiple Business Gold cards so they can get 4X on all of their ad spend each year. On the other hand, multiple Business Platinum cards are nice for using for different airlines to get the 35% points rebate for flights booked through AMEX Travel. I have also heard of people having multiple Hilton Aspire AMEX cards (and have a player 2 having multiple also) for the free night certificates so they can use them all on one trip for a Maldives vacation or something like that where they can get more than $1K+ per night value from the certificates.

Bold are regularly used for spending
AOD Visa Signature | Curve Card | X1 Credit Card | Target RedCard | Venmo Card
AMEX: Schwab Platinum | 2 x Gold | Green | 2 x Business Platinum | 2 x Business Gold | Blue Business Plus
AMEX: Amazon Business Prime | Delta Reserve | Delta Reserve Business | Marriott Bonvoy Business
Chase: Aeroplan | Amazon Prime | World of Hyatt | World of Hyatt Business | Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
Chase: Ink Business Cash | Ink Business Preferred | Southwest Performance Business
BofA: Alaska Airlines Business | Business Advantage Customized Cash Rewards
Citi AAdvantage Executive | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Business
U.S. Bank Business Triple Cash Rewards | U.S. Bank Business Platinum | GM Business Card
Apple Card | Navy Federal Flagship Rewards | PenFed Gold | PenFed Platinum Rewards
Capital One Platinum | Capital One QuicksilverOne | FNBO Evergreen Business
Player 2: Delta Platinum AMEX | Chase Freedom | 2 x Chase Freedom Flex | Apple Card
Message 5 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I agree, they're pushing hard with marketing this month - this week alone I've received 3 different snail mail packets to apply for AMEX biz and personal platinum cards.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The thought of a second Business Platinum has occurred to me, for 35% MR rebates on both Delta and United flights. Still working on my initial $15k minimum spend, though. And I'd need an offer without lifetime language for the SUB.

Keep in mind "pre-approved" is not a guarantee of a high SL or high NPSL.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@4sallypat wrote:

Agreed!

Something is going on with Amex for sure.

I got PRE-APPROVED offers within the last month:

Business Platinum

Business Gold

Blue Business Cash

Not sure what to do since I just got a $13K Amazon Prime Business Amex card this week...

you need to apply. thats what you need to do LOL

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.