Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying Amex

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Annoying Amex

Yesterday afternoon I got a call from an unknown number. Like all unknown numbers, my phone sent it straight to voicemail. I didn't see the voicemail until about 15 minutes later, after the close of business. The voicemail was pretty vague. The person claimed to be from American Express and said they needed to speak to me and that I should call them back at that same number.

I did a search and I couldn't find it on any Amex website. I called the Schwab Platinum number and asked them to confirm that the number that had called me was a valid Amex number. They took several minutes to check and confirmed it was real, then transferred me over.

Was it a problem with the account? Was I under FR? Did they want some bank records?

No. They just wanted to be sure I knew all about the features of the Business Platinum card.

Grumble. It definitely detracts from their usually great customer service. If you're making a sales or support call with no immediate purpose, just say so in the voicemail. Or don't leave a voicemail at all. But don't leave a vague one that will make a customer think something is wrong.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
purebulldogs
Contributor

Re: Annoying Amex

Amex called me and asked me how I liked my gold and everyday cards. I told them the everyday card I wish I could change to another card, but they said that card can't change to a different card except for the one with an annual fee. 

they called me about my gold card on a separate card asking my how I liked it. 

my guess is Amex may be losing some customers, or maybe less spend, or maybe less people applying for them, or they could be gaining like crazy and just want to keep track etc, hard to know for sure 

just a guess though but they have called me a few times about my gold card making sure I'm happy and plan to keep it. It hasn't hit the year mark yet but they have called me 3 times so far. It makes me wonder if they may be down on the applications and spend etc? I was able to get them to waive the annual fee when it comes up 

A coworker spends a decent amount on his platinum card and when Amex called him, he mentioned he may cancel due to the annual fee. They waived it at least for the next year 

Message 2 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@purebulldogs wrote:

Amex called me and asked me how I liked my gold and everyday cards. I told them the everyday card I wish I could change to another card, but they said that card can't change to a different card except for the one with an annual fee. 

they called me about my gold card on a separate card asking my how I liked it. 

my guess is Amex may be losing some customers, or maybe less spend, or maybe less people applying for them, or they could be gaining like crazy and just want to keep track etc, hard to know for sure 

just a guess though but they have called me a few times about my gold card making sure I'm happy and plan to keep it. It hasn't hit the year mark yet but they have called me 3 times so far. It makes me wonder if they may be down on the applications and spend etc? I was able to get them to waive the annual fee when it comes up 

A coworker spends a decent amount on his platinum card and when Amex called him, he mentioned he may cancel due to the annual fee. They waived it at least for the next year 

I've gotten decent retention offers on my Schwab Platinum. 50k for no spend in 2020 and 30k for $3k spend in 2022. I'm pretty open to playing games with that card now that I have the Business Platinum.

Message 3 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

It definitely detracts from their usually great customer service. If you're making a sales or support call with no immediate purpose, just say so in the voicemail. Or don't leave a voicemail at all. But don't leave a vague one that will make a customer think something is wrong.

I suppose I can see your point of view on the latter part thinking there was an issue, but these proactive calls (which seem to come just before AFs hit) actually seem to reinforce their great customer service reputation.  While most of us here are on the bleeding edge of updates and changes to various credit products, the average Business Platinum cardholder is far less likely to know about some of the more recent changes, particularly when it comes to credits like mobile, Adobe (which, much to my surprise actually does seem to be triggered by Creative Cloud renewals), or the doubling of the Dell credits.

(While not voicemail, the last time I got that call it was pretty early in the morning, like 7 or so, which I personally think is far too early to be making business-related calls unless you know the merchant is actually conducting business that early.)

Message 4 of 7
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I'll be honest, ever since March of 2020, I've been side-eyeing my Platinum card.. went from $5-7k per month down to $1k on travel and really don't see the point anymore. ESPECIALLY since the Gold gives 3x on flights plus much better rewards on dining and gas. I dunno, I'm getting fatigued following all of this. SO much has changed.

Message 5 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

It definitely detracts from their usually great customer service. If you're making a sales or support call with no immediate purpose, just say so in the voicemail. Or don't leave a voicemail at all. But don't leave a vague one that will make a customer think something is wrong.

I suppose I can see your point of view on the latter part thinking there was an issue, but these proactive calls (which seem to come just before AFs hit) actually seem to reinforce their great customer service reputation.  While most of us here are on the bleeding edge of updates and changes to various credit products, the average Business Platinum cardholder is far less likely to know about some of the more recent changes, particularly when it comes to credits like mobile, Adobe (which, much to my surprise actually does seem to be triggered by Creative Cloud renewals), or the doubling of the Dell credits.

(While not voicemail, the last time I got that call it was pretty early in the morning, like 7 or so, which I personally think is far too early to be making business-related calls unless you know the merchant is actually conducting business that early.)

I would think there would be a lot of confusion if they tried to limit the Adobe credit too much. I only edit PDFs and pay ~$200 per year, but I have Creative Cloud Desktop on my PC as one way to access Acrobat. But I don't have access to other Adobe programs.

Also, with the software and electronics bonus categories (broader than Business Gold's) I would think the card would attract some people who spend more time programming than editing PDFs.

Message 6 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

I'll be honest, ever since March of 2020, I've been side-eyeing my Platinum card.. went from $5-7k per month down to $1k on travel and really don't see the point anymore. ESPECIALLY since the Gold gives 3x on flights plus much better rewards on dining and gas. I dunno, I'm getting fatigued following all of this. SO much has changed.

If we're talking about the personal Gold and Platinum...and I see a personal Platinum in your signature...I think gas was removed as a bonus category from Gold a few years ago when PRG became Gold and they added dining as a bonus category, etc.

Not 100% sure. I use the Costco Visa for gas.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.