Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application strategy for Chase credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Application strategy for Chase credit cards

My Fico score is 841 from an bank's online FICO score checker. Credit score is 803 from Equifax pulled in March 2018. Credit score might be higher now since utilization is a lot lower now than in March of last year. I have four credit cards. One is a Visa I had for over twenty years and 3 more I acquired since March 2018.

I also applied for a Chase Freedom Visa  Platinum credit card but was denied. According the Chase's adverse action letter my Experian credit score is about 840 as of March 2018. But my Chase application was denied because of "Number of Bank / national revolving or other revolving accounts". I was carrying a balance at the time but have long since rectified that situation.

Right now all credit cards have zero balances or have a small credit. I want to apply for the Chase Business Ink and another credit card from TD Bank.

Would it increase my chances of succeeding if I opened a bank account with Chase first before applying for a credit card?

What about going into a Chase branch vs applying online?

My credit reports at the big 3 credit reporting agencies are frozen. The credit reports will be unfrozen for about a week before applying. Does the amount of time the credit reports are unfrozen matter?

Lastly I have a auto loan with an original principal of about $9800 from about late winter 2016 origination date. Less than half is left on the loan. Will this negatively affect my "installment loan utilization" and make my Chase application less likely to succeed?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Application strategy for Chase credit cards

You should comfortably get approved. Just make sure you apply to Chase first, and not apply to anything until you get the approval. (Not the 7 day message). If you get decline, you can recon. Loan utilization should not be an issue now that you have less than half left.

Message 2 of 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Application strategy for Chase credit cards

@Anonymous wrote:

My Fico score is 841 from an bank's online FICO score checker.

I don't know what this means.

Credit score is 803 from Equifax pulled in March 2018.

I don't know what this means, but it sounds like it's an Equifax score rather than a FICO score.

Credit score might be higher now since utilization is a lot lower now than in March of last year. I have four credit cards. One is a Visa I had for over twenty years and 3 more I acquired since March 2018.

I would need to know more details to know what your situation is.

I also applied for a Chase Freedom Visa  Platinum credit card

Chase doesn't have a Platinum card.

but was denied. According the Chase's adverse action letter my Experian credit score is about 840 as of March 2018. But my Chase application was denied because of "Number of Bank / national revolving or other revolving accounts". I was carrying a balance at the time but have long since rectified that situation.

Right now all credit cards have zero balances or have a small credit.

Having all zeroes is bad for your score; better to have one account report a small balance.

I want to apply for the Chase Business Ink and another credit card from TD Bank.

Bear in mind that TD business credit card reports to your personal credit.

Would it increase my chances of succeeding if I opened a bank account with Chase first before applying for a credit card?

I believe it would help you in this sense: when you open the account, do it in person. When you open it they may tell you if you have any in-branch preapprovals for the credit cards. If they don't tell you, you can ask. If you have an in-branch preapproval on the Ink card you're likely to have your application granted.

What about going into a Chase branch vs applying online?

Yes. See above.

My credit reports at the big 3 credit reporting agencies are frozen. The credit reports will be unfrozen for about a week before applying. Does the amount of time the credit reports are unfrozen matter?

I don't know the answer to that.

Lastly I have a auto loan with an original principal of about $9800 from about late winter 2016 origination date. Less than half is left on the loan. Will this negatively affect my "installment loan utilization" and make my Chase application less likely to succeed?

I don't know about that, but you can certainly get increased FICO 8 and FICO 9 scores by paying the loan down to about $880.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.