Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Impression at Barclays business card

tag
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Bad Impression at Barclays business card

Got the business Aviator with 75,000 points... I tried to make a payment of $105 and has the payment returned and charged a return payment fee of $39 . Called in to ask them and they said I mistyped my checking account by one digit . I tried to ask for the return fee waived but it was a firm NO from them Smiley Sad. They said nothing they can do , even though my statement hasn’t even closed yet lol.

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bad Impression at Barclays business card

@JaeJae12 wrote:
Got the business Aviator with 75,000 points... I tried to make a payment of $105 and has the payment returned and charged a return payment fee of $39 . Called in to ask them and they said I mistyped my checking account by one digit . I tried to ask for the return fee waived but it was a firm NO from them Smiley Sad. They said nothing they can do , even though my statement hasn’t even closed yet lol.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but how is this a bad impression of Barclays?  It’s incumbant upon the cardholder to enter accurate payment info. This wasn’t their mistake. 

Returned payments, even those resulting from an error such as yours, are a big deal to lenders. For as skittish as Barclays is, I’m surprised they didn’t shut the account down after the returned payment.

Message 2 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I see lots of posts on here where people state they've mistyped their checking acct number. I double check all numbers I type in and it takes less than 30 seconds to do so. And, most accounts make you retype the number to confirm that the same number is inputted. 

I also don't understand the bad impression. The onus is on us to key in the correct number. Yes, I know mistakes happen but it should be a lesson-learned moment, not a blame session. Also, that's good you were notified that the payment was returned. Since you were one digit off, suppose your payment had been applied to someone else's account and you didn't find out for 30 days. Then you would have had a ding on your credit report for a nonpayment.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It being the first payment probably had something to do with their unwillingness to waive the fee, also. If you were a longstanding client with great history, they may be more willing, but right out of the gate, they are obviously less accommodating.
Message 4 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@JaeJae12 wrote:

Whether or not they were right to do that, Barclays stinks. So your first impression is the right one Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 6
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

Sorry about the extra penalty, Op.

Sadly American banks are far more greedy than I've seen elsewhere.

I was surprised at the $3 atm fee when using another banks atm when I was used to paying like $0.15 abroad for non native atm. The $12 monthly fee if your account is below a certain balance... Unheard of before. $20 for an extra check book?? My native bank charges line $5 abroad.

Sadly, these corporations are after mega profits. More so in America due to the quite relaxed regulations and zero political will to help the consumer.

I see zero risk to the bank when your first statement hasn't even cut yet so them grabbing the penalty amount is due to the fact that they just can.

It's on you to be careful next time.

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.