Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best business card for starters?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best business card for starters?

Im jumping into the small business world by becoming sole owner of a tennis string company that produces tennis strings and  I've been a part of for the last 10 months.  It's a sudden unforseen circumstance but I'm welcoming it.

I figured since I am diving into small business it would be best to obtain a business credit card for expense and business purposes(travel, etc).  

I'm looking into ones that don't triple pull and are fairly easy to obtain(I know Capital 1 does regardless of biz or personal) and is VISA accecpted.  

I've got current relationships and cards with Cap 1, Amex, Discover, PNC, and Citi but Im in the process of paying down some balances before applying(not sure if it will make a difference)

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Best business card for starters?

American Express by a mile! Good luck!

Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

I was debating them,  I currently have 3 revolvers BCE, Delta Gold and recently converted SPG--Bonvoy.

My Bonvoy currently has a $0 balance so I was debating on closing that down and seeing if i can turn that account into a business account.  Does AMEX do such?  My balances havent reported yet on my EXP FICO and i'd like it to reflect the newer paid down balances before applying

Message 3 of 33
Gmood1
Super Contributor

You could have both if you wanted to. Yes, they'll close down a revolver in order to open another.
Amex offered to do this for me a couple of weeks ago when I applied for the Business Bonvoy.
I declined for now.
Message 4 of 33
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'm happy with my Amex BBP. I've not had any other proper business card, so can't speak about any business Visa from experience.

Are you interested in travel perks/rewards? Flexible timing of payments and 0%? Or the card is for organizational/legal separation?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'm happy with my Amex BBP. I've not had any other proper business card, so can't speak about any business Visa from experience.

Are you interested in travel perks/rewards? Flexible timing of payments and 0%? Or the card is for organizational/legal separation?

Mainly 0%, no APR.  This would be used for travel expenses or "office" expenses sine I would also run a side business off of that doing tennis stringing for my area. ( i guess a stringing machine would be considered an office item?)

For travel  on my personal accounts I've got an Amex Delta Gold and Cap 1 Venture, but on the business side this might come in handy for traveling(tennis tournaments, etc)

Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex SimplyCash Plus.

Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex SimplyCash Plus.

Leaning towards that the most. Before I pull the trigger I still want to browse around

Does anyone have any experience with Citi business, or PNC?  

Message 8 of 33
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

I was debating them,  I currently have 3 revolvers BCE, Delta Gold and recently converted SPG--Bonvoy.

My Bonvoy currently has a $0 balance so I was debating on closing that down and seeing if i can turn that account into a business account.  Does AMEX do such?  My balances havent reported yet on my EXP FICO and i'd like it to reflect the newer paid down balances before applying

No they won't PC a personal account into a business account.

But you could just go ahead and apply for the business version, thus having 2 sources feeding into your point accumulation.

As to your larger question, where to get your first business credit card:

1. Don't use Capital One, Discover, or TD Bank, because they report to personal credit. (And as you know Cap One triple pulls).

2. American Express is a good place to start.

3.  Chase would be great but it might be too hard to get at this stage.

4.  Citi, in my opinion, doesn't really offer a good business card except one that's very unpublicized and very hard to get, the Citi Thank You Business card.

5.  Bank of America is ok, but I find their website and setup a bit weird, so for me Amex would be the place to go.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 33
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex SimplyCash Plus.

Leaning towards that the most. Before I pull the trigger I still want to browse around

Does anyone have any experience with Citi business, or PNC?  

Let me just say something about Amex Simply Cash and Amex Simply Cash Plus. I have found them not to be as great in practice as they are on paper.  I find that too many purchases which should be getting the bonus points aren't. For me the 3% and 5% rewards have been more illusory than real.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.