Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Amex Working Capital Terms program

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Beware of Amex Working Capital Terms program

When they first introduced this program, it was a very pleasant addition. One could make a payment to a vendor, for a small upfront fee which was more or less the equivalent of an APR of 6%, which seemed like a fair rate for a business operation. E.g., if you wanted 90 days to repay, the fee was 1.5%, but if you only wanted 30 days to repay, the fee was .5%. They have slowly and sneakily inched upwards on the fee. Today I almost fell out of my seat to see that the fees would be the equivalent of an 18% APR: if you want 30 days to repay, the fee is 1.5%; if you want 60 days it's 3%; if you want 90 days it's 4.5%!!!  It's actually equivalent to more than 18%, because you're paying it in advance.

My days of using this program are o.v.e.r.

1/19/20 Funny postscript. After I posted this, in late November, I stopped using Amex Working Capital. During the intervening 2 months, the rates have varied between 18% APR and 21% APR. About a week ago, I had paid off the last advance, so my WC balance was zero. Today they dropped the fee down to 9% APR -- where it had started when I first bit. I guess they like me now that I've demonstrated that I can live without them  Smiley Happy

Banks are the strangest people.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

24 REPLIES 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Beware of Amex Working Capital Terms program

Thanks for sharing.  I suppose they're simply adjusting those fees/rates to the current environment.

Message 2 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Update.

Now they've raised my rate to 21%.

They've got to be kidding if they think I'm ever going to bite at that.

Message 3 of 25
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Update.

Do you earn MR points on these?  

I take it just for using it and paying it right off is now 1.75%?  Or is there a different fee aside from the interest?  

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Must be profile specific.

I'm seeing 0.75% for 30 days, 1.5% for 60 days and 2.25% for 90 days in my program.

Haven't used it yet but 9% APR for an emergency backup isn't terrible.

Message 5 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Update.

Do you earn MR points on these?  

I take it just for using it and paying it right off is now 1.75%?  Or is there a different fee aside from the interest?  

No you don't get any points.

There's just the fee, no interest.

Message 6 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Must be profile specific.

I'm seeing 0.75% for 30 days, 1.5% for 60 days and 2.25% for 90 days in my program.

Haven't used it yet but 9% APR for an emergency backup isn't terrible.

Yes I guess it is profile specific.

The important takeaway, I would say, is that if you come back to it for an 'emergency backup', don't count on the fee being the same as it was the last time you looked. They change it around, and they don't notify you that they are doing it. So the same circumstances that caused you to need an emergency backup might well have increased the fee from something reasonable to something unreasonable.

Yes 9% APR isn't bad. But 21% APR is bad.

Message 7 of 25
Five6Two
Frequent Contributor

I got the pop-up today, was this a SP or HP when you accepted the initial terms in order to participate in program?

Siggy under construction Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 25
601flyguy
Established Contributor

I've been looking into this but don't have any actual vendors... The % is account specific. I see 1, 2, and 3%

2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 9 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Five6Two wrote:

I got the pop-up today, was this a SP or HP when you accepted the initial terms in order to participate in program?

Soft pull. If any.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.