Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Biz Credit card Hacked twice?

tag
CreditobsessedinFL
Established Contributor

BofA Biz Credit card Hacked twice?

Hi,

I received a Bofa Biz MC in February and it got hacked for 2 separate $900.00 + fraudulent charges, within the first month.  They replaced the card, but it took 45 days or so to get the fraudulent charge amounts removed from my credit limit, and although it took longer than they orginally estimated, but that may very well have been due to COVID related delays. 

This morning, I checked all my accounts as I customarily do and low and behold, on the same BofA MC, another fraudulent authorization for $1,046.96, this time from Facebook.  The charge right before it was for gas, as gas is the 3% category on this card, and although gas stations can be prime places for fraud, it was Shell gas station for goodness sake, has anyone else had this type of issue with their BofA Mastercard? 

I do make purchases online for clients, but I try to use Paypal whenever possible, in the instances that it is not, I am not sure why this card or Bank of America, in general is so susceptible to security breaches?  

I am a bit worried, I don't want my account closed as it is relatively new, but how do I even attempt to hit the SUB, if every time I give the card some use, it gets hacked? 

16 REPLIES 16
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: BofA Biz Credit card Hacked twice?

I've had BofA cards for years and years. Never had a single incident of fraud, and maybe once with Cap One that I can remember. I think it's just bad luck on your end, TBH.

If you gas up at Shell, you should probably use the mobile app. In fact, I use mobile apps with Shell, Mobil and BP. Never have to use the physical card at a gas station except when traveling and can't find any of those. Plus, they have rewards programs and you save a bit of money.

Message 2 of 17
CreditobsessedinFL
Established Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

I've had BofA cards for years and years. Never had a single incident of fraud, and maybe once with Cap One that I can remember. I think it's just bad luck on your end, TBH.

If you gas up at Shell, you should probably use the mobile app. In fact, I use mobile apps with Shell, Mobil and BP. Never have to use the physical card at a gas station except when traveling and can't find any of those. Plus, they have rewards programs and you save a bit of money.

Yet another reason I don't gamble @imaximous , I have terrible luck it seems. I have never had an issue with Amex, only BofA it seems. Oh well, maybe the third time will be the charm with this MC from BofA . Thanks for the tip on the mobile app, will give it a shot. 

Message 3 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

Good advice on the app, I use Shell and Chevron.

Message 4 of 17
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@CreditobsessedinFL wrote:

I do make purchases online for clients, but I try to use Paypal whenever possible, in the instances that it is not, I am not sure why this card or Bank of America, in general is so susceptible to security breaches?  

Sorry this is happening.  Is your BoA MC linked to Paypal?  Also, can you set up transaction alerts to the lowest dollar amt? ...like $1 or $5.  When you had the first two fraud charges had you been to that same Shell gas station just prior to those charges?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 5 of 17
CreditobsessedinFL
Established Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

Sorry this is happening.  Is your BoA MC linked to Paypal?  Also, can you set up transaction alerts to the lowest dollar amt? ...like $1 or $5.  When you had the first two fraud charges had you been to that same Shell gas station just prior to those charges?

Good morning ☀️ @GApeachy,

I had both of them linked to PayPal and I try to use PayPal for all my online purchases whenever possible as they will refund the purchase price if the vendor does not deliver the goods as promised,and if the vendor doesn't take PayPal, and I had to enter my card manually online, maybe that was the issue with the first one, I am not sure. For this one, the last valid charge was the Shell gas, because of the 3% and because honestly it was a long shot of hitting the SUB anyway with purchases being limited at this point due to COVID shutdowns, etc., so I was trying to put some spend on this card, but I am over trying to use it, since I have never had this fraud issue with either of my Amex Biz cards. I am going to go back to my Amex ecosystem, I was trying to show BofA some love, but this is aggravating. The new card should arrive today, I have to first see if there are any recurring charges on that one and I might try the gas app suggestion, leave the card at home and see if that helps. I have been a Bofa customer for 24+ years and it happened with my debit card years ago, so I think it is a hole in their security,  but I like that they are everywhere, so I plan to suck it up, buttercup, lol!

Thanks again. 

Message 6 of 17
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

Good morning ☀️ @GApeachy,

I had both of them linked to PayPal and I try to use PayPal for all my online purchases whenever possible as they will refund the purchase price if the vendor does not deliver the goods as promised,and if the vendor doesn't take PayPal, and I had to enter my card manually online, maybe that was the issue with the first one, I am not sure. For this one, the last valid charge was the Shell gas, because of the 3% and because honestly it was a long shot of hitting the SUB anyway with purchases being limited at this point due to COVID shutdowns, etc., so I was trying to put some spend on this card, but I am over trying to use it, since I have never had this fraud issue with either of my Amex Biz cards. I am going to go back to my Amex ecosystem, I was trying to show BofA some love, but this is aggravating. The new card should arrive today, I have to first see if there are any recurring charges on that one and I might try the gas app suggestion, leave the card at home and see if that helps. I have been a Bofa customer for 24+ years and it happened with my debit card years ago, so I think it is a hole in their security,  but I like that they are everywhere, so I plan to suck it up, buttercup, lol!

Thanks again. 

@CreditobsessedinFL  I got 2 BofA business cards in April and I received letters telling me they were extending the SUB timeframe for a total of 6 months. 

Just letting you know in case you may have the same offer. Try to find out from BofA if you also qualify for that. 

Message 7 of 17
CreditobsessedinFL
Established Contributor

Thank you @imaximous , I will call my Biz banker and ask about the SUB extension, we are pretty much shutdown, so I doubt I can hit it otherwise, 

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@imaximous wrote:

I got 2 business cards in April and I received letters telling me they were extending the SUB timeframe for a total of 6 months. 

Interesting, i didn't get that boost. Though I just recently apped in May so it might be past their time frame of goodwill.

Message 9 of 17
imaximous
Valued Contributor

I was looking for the letters today. I usually save stuff like that in case there's an issue honoring an offer. I must've thrown them out because I'd actually met the SUBs right away. 

Also, I got my approvals mixed up. I didn't get the cards in April but March. One in the beginning of the month and the other towards the end. My USB card was approved in April.

I hope they extend the same courtesy to you. It doesn't hurt to ask if you need the extra time.  

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.