Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Business Advantage Cash Rewards - Conditional Approval

tag
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

BofA Business Advantage Cash Rewards - Conditional Approval

I was recently approved for the BofA Alaska Airlines credit card and applied a couple days later for the Business Advantage Cash Rewards Credit Card. I did not receive an inquiry but received an immediate denial.

Today, I received an email stating the following:

After careful review, we can't approve your application for an unsecured card, but we have another option for you — a secured business credit card. We're sending you a letter explaining why we can't approve your application, and it will also have instructions on how to request a secured business credit card.

Why a secured business credit card may be a good option.

This type of card is secured with a Certificate of Deposit (CD). It works like any other credit card with all the same benefits and can help you strengthen your credit.

If you'd like to take advantage of the offer, here are your next steps:

1. Set up a 12-month CD for at least $1,000 — your credit line will be equal to the amount of the CD in increments of $100. To open a CD, you can visit your nearest financial center or call us at 888.600.4000, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern.
  2. Complete the agreement that will be included with the letter, sign it on page 1, and send it back to us. If you'd like to return it to us electronically, look for an email coming today from IntraLinks with instructions on how to securely send us the agreement online.

Thank you for considering us for your credit needs.

Since I couldn't clarify if it was a different card\product via search here or Reddit, I decided to call BofA.

The representative looked me up and stated that the secured card is the same version of the card I applied for (verified Business Advantage Cash Rewards) and stated what was stipulated in the email. In summary, I would need to open a CD for 12 months and after that, they will review the account. If the account is in good standing, I will be eligible to unsecure the card and receive my money from the CD back.

I think I will be taking them up on this offer as I have upcoming business spend and I really like the offer. The rep also verified the offer is spend $5000 in 90 days of account opening to receive $500.

tl;dr

Applied for BofA Biz Cash Rewards

Denied unless I open a CD

Verified it is the same product I applied for but secured

Also, they used the same pull from last week's approval.

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BofA Business Advantage Cash Rewards - Conditional Approval

I'm curious as to why they would approve the Alaska BIZ but not this one?

Especially considering the comments in that thread as to the Alaska card having more stringent UW.

Just seems odd to me to approve one unsecured product, but then require security for another card.

Message 2 of 21
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm curious as to why they would approve the Alaska BIZ but not this one?

Especially considering the comments in that thread as to the Alaska card having more stringent UW.

Just seems odd to me to approve one unsecured product, but then require security for another card.

Me too. My best and total guess is perhaps they only trusted me with only so much credit at this time as I don't have a lot of business credit or any credit with them in general. Pure speculation, but maybe they would of done the same thing if I applied in reverse order.

Message 3 of 21
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Did you receive the letter and see why BofA declined you for the unsecured version of the business card? Always figured the UW would be the same across the board whether it was the personal or biz version of their cards

Didn't realize this was even an option for their biz cards

Message 4 of 21
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 5 of 21
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Did you receive the letter and see why BofA declined you for the unsecured version of the business card? Always figured the UW would be the same across the board whether it was the personal or biz version of their cards

On my recon call for the other card, they said it wasn't an option although I read on Reddit that it was. Low and behold, a few days later, it is an option (for another card)

I did not receive the letter yet, the emails came first so I emailed them. I didn't want to wait as I'm in new construction so mail delivery is a little slow right now due to mail forwarding.

Message 6 of 21
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

On my recon call for the other card, they said it wasn't an option although I read on Reddit that it was. Low and behold, a few days later, it is an option (for another card)

I did not receive the letter yet, the emails came first so I emailed them. I didn't want to wait as I'm in new construction so mail delivery is a little slow right now due to mail forwarding.

This is certainly an interesting DP. Maybe they approved Alaska at current ceiling max, but knowing it's a business with relationship potential, BofA makes these offers as a way to satisfy both parties.

I wonder if it's an automatic graduation. I wouldn't want to be in Business secured limbo 2 years down the road.

Message 7 of 21
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

This is certainly an interesting DP. Maybe they approved Alaska at current ceiling max, but knowing it's a business with relationship potential, BofA makes these offers as a way to satisfy both parties.

I wonder if it's an automatic graduation. I wouldn't want to be in Business secured limbo 2 years down the road.

It sounded like it was automatic unless I had lates or something like that. From other data points I have read, it's not a problem as it coincides with the 12 month CD expiring. 

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recieved the conditional acceptance myself.  Just finished opening the CD.  Card approval letter came yesterday.

Message 9 of 21
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Recieved the conditional acceptance myself.  Just finished opening the CD.  Card approval letter came yesterday.

@Anonymous 

Did you send them the signed document with the CD account number electronically? How long did it take to get the approval letter? Receive the card yet?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.