Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Credit 101

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Business Credit 101

I know the last three business credit applications I've applied for have asked for EIN aka Tax ID number no mention of DUNS so I think it's basically a dead issue now, which I wouldn't even be mad about. DUNS is a scam
Message 181 of 196
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saw your Biz Credit Success Story. CONGRATS!  Just wanted your advice. For the START DATE of MY BUSINESS on Credit Applications, is it BASED on... the DAY I INCORPORATED? Opened my Business Bank Account, the day I started working on Biz before Incorporating?  Thank you

Message 182 of 196
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Saw your Biz Credit Success Story. CONGRATS!  Just wanted your advice. For the START DATE of MY BUSINESS on Credit Applications, is it BASED on... the DAY I INCORPORATED? Opened my Business Bank Account, the day I started working on Biz before Incorporating?  Thank you

Yes, the date you filed for incorporation. 

In all honesty, i don't think it really matters since the credit will be based on your personal credit history.  You could always claim that the incorporated business started many years ago under your personal name.  Which was the case in my case.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 183 of 196
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I also did the same thing and used the day I incorporated and had no problems.

Message 184 of 196
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest, majority of the banks that you would like to have a business account with use personal guarantees now. Meaning they use your personal credit profile. They don't report your status of your business credit card to your personal credit profile unless you default on the business credit card you have with them. IF you apply for a business credit card you should not see a inquiry on your personal credit profile about that business credit card. If you do then call your credit reporting agency after you call the bank that put it there to let them know & have them remove it.

But like I said, banks such as Citi, Chase, Bank of America etc the places you really want business credit cards all use personal guarantees. They DON"T report to ANY agency unless you're defaulting on your business credit card. This also means they DON"T report to ANY agency if you're NOT defaulting on your credit card. Now if you default on their business credit cards the agencies they will report to will have that default information show on your PERSONAL credit profile.

Banks are almost eliminating the need for D&B numbers by doing this. What's the point of getting a business credit profile if the banks that you are with don't report nor check your paydex scores when you apply? Since the recession banks have changed the way they do things. Everything now is off your personal credit.

No one wants a Staples, Walmart etc business credit card unless your business isn't real. 

Message 185 of 196
Anonymous
Not applicable

How i to get success in my life?
Message 186 of 196
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just one question is your EIN attached to your personal social security number I read somewhere it can be used sperately when applying for credit 

Message 187 of 196
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just one question is your EIN attached to your personal social security number I read somewhere it can be used sperately when applying for credit 

If you apply for business credit with an EIN they are going to base the application on your personal credit so yes it's tied in a way to your SSN because on the application they will ask for your SSN as well

Message 188 of 196
rmm0707

Awesome info!! 

Message 189 of 196
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry but I'm very new to gaining credit for my company.  I have been in business since 2010 but got the D&B for grant writing purposes.  Trying to carry my not-for-profit under a for profit for investment purposes can I use the same D&B the intitial name is the same but the next name has investment inc .  QPRI (inital name) Q investment Inc as the for profit name. My true question is I see that you need a pg I don't understand what is pg the acronym of? private goods? don't know please help.

Message 190 of 196
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.