Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Debts Protected By FDCPA?

tag
mo6579
Contributor

Business Debts Protected By FDCPA?

A puzzling question I've had for a while - Are buisiness debts covered by any federal laws? I ask because the family business I am a part of gets collection notices every once in a while from really old accounts. Can we respond for validation and dispute in the same way I could as a person (this is a corporation)? Most of the laws I am familiar with say pretty much that a public person of not knowledgable and is therefore protected by the law, whereas a business is expected to be knowledgable of the law and therefore not protected by these 'consumer' laws. Can we demand validation and dispute the same as a consumer or is a response to a lawsuit our only recourse? By the way, if it matters, we are incorporated in Illinois.

Current Fico08 TU:654 EX:641 EQ:650 (01/31/2015)
Current Fico04 TU:??? EX:695 EQ:675 (01/31/2015)
03/2013 - TU:567 EX:490 EQ:540
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Business Debts Protected By FDCPA?

Are these debts in the forum of CC's and were they secured by way of PG? Whats really old?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Nope, this type of debt is not covered under FDCPA:    http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/supmanual/cch/fairdebt.pdf

Coverage

Debt That Is Covered

The FDCPA applies only to the collection of debt incurred by a consumer primarily for personal, family, or household purposes. It does not apply to the collection of corporate debt or debt owed for business or agricultural purposes.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 4
mo6579
Contributor

Thanks, thats what I figured.

Current Fico08 TU:654 EX:641 EQ:650 (01/31/2015)
Current Fico04 TU:??? EX:695 EQ:675 (01/31/2015)
03/2013 - TU:567 EX:490 EQ:540
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.