cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Loan, Underwriting taking a long time, good?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Business Loan, Underwriting taking a long time, good?

Hello all,

My husband and I are in the process of buying the small mail courier business he works for as his boss is retiring. He's worked for him for 20 years and knows the business inside and out. Three weeks ago we submitted our application and paperwork to our credit union, which we hold all our accounts with. The underwriters came back twice asking for more documents. A week ago today we were told by our loan officer it would only be a few more days. I'm super on edge and wondering if the length of time they're taking is a good sign by chance. If they weren't interested they'd just shove it back denied, right? It's a $55,000 loan with physical collateral worth $28,500 and a $5000 cash good faith down payment. 

Ok here's the long backstory credit details. I'm embarrassed to admit we didn't even know what our scores were until a few days before submitting everything. I started out with Experian's premium service and dropped them a week later due to customer service struggles and account trouble. We are now with myFICO family account. My credit started off three weeks ago at a 596 and husband 589. Our one credit card with our credit union was at 98% utilization and is only in my name. There were two medical baddies on my report and one on his. One auto loan on both. Old closed CC on his. No late payments on anything. I immediately paid all the collections and was able to present proof of that to the underwriters when we applied. My score went to 605 within a few days and was that when we applied but husbands score was still 589. Over the past few weeks I've paid my CC down to 22% and my scores are now across the board in the 640's. We're working on getting him added to it. Not sure if this was a great idea but I added several CC accounts, Cap One Quicksilver, Cap One secured, Kroger US Bank and with AU on all three. I've paid my CC down also to 3% and will be seeing what that does soon. So we're working on our credit now we know we should but understand it won't affect the current loan process. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Business Loan, Underwriting taking a long time, good?

Honestly sounds like your LO is going out of his\her way to try and get this through because the numbers, profile or scores does'nt seem to support approval in my opinion. Certainly not trying to be offensive, just objective. If not approved don't begrudge your LO and if you are, take him\her to dinner. I am self employed and understand the difficulties.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that, I totally agree our numbers don't support approval, which makes me so nervous. I'm hoping the fact it was supposed to be a 7-10 business day time frame and is now stretching past 3 full weeks (18 business days) is a good sign. It is a small credit union and the business we're hoping to take over holds several large important local statewide contracts, hoping it's enough for them to look past the credit history.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome. Pray for best and prepare for worst. Unique situations can work for sometimes. Your LO has to get it by their superiors and seems to me that he\she is trying. Really hope it works out for you!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to update. Today at the very end of the day we got the call saying we'd been approved! 60 month term with 6.4%. They went unsecured on this instead of taking our vehicles as collateral. Really really in shock about it, I think our prior relationship with the bank helped and they also stated the little details mattered such as having paid off the few collections reporting. We have a perfect payment record with our existing accounts with them too. I'm thinking the community ties the business has might have also been a factor. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice that it worked out for you and it just might be that you owe the LO a large thank you for this one, congratz of your approval!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wonderful news! Certainly glad it workout for you.

Message 7 of 9
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wanted to update. Today at the very end of the day we got the call saying we'd been approved! 60 month term with 6.4%. They went unsecured on this instead of taking our vehicles as collateral. Really really in shock about it, I think our prior relationship with the bank helped and they also stated the little details mattered such as having paid off the few collections reporting. We have a perfect payment record with our existing accounts with them too. I'm thinking the community ties the business has might have also been a factor. 

That's some great news !!

And a very respectable rate also.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 8 of 9
wit2bees
Contributor

Congratulations!  I was actually looking at the DP and felt that you had a strong chance at the local level.  They look at more than just score on commercial loans!   Small businesses are the cornerstone of our community!!!

TU 699 EQ 741 EX 767
- total CL = ?
- AAOA = 2.5 years
- Utilization = 9%
- Inquiries = TOOOOOOO MANY
- 50 accounts:
Updated 12/ 29 / 2021
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.