cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business credit card with no EIN: still separate from consumer report?

tag
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: Business credit card with no EIN: still separate from consumer report?

@Anonymous wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

Reporting to your personal credit  I have several credit business cards and can attest to all of this (see: Chase, BoA, US Bank, and Barclays). AMEX won't report to your personal account either. 

Are all those cards of yours opened without an EIN? 

Some without and some with. Like I said though, it does not matter. You should stop focusing on the EIN. 

Message 11 of 19
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The IRS link says that I don't need an EIN as a sole proprietary without employees. But doesn't clarify whether I can get an EIN without an LLC... 

It still would be still great if business credit card users who don't have EIN have their cards reported to personal by banks which are known not to report otherwise. 

You might be better off talking to one of your local CPA about the EIN and Business and other things. The reason to have the business account is to establish the credit under business name and protect your self if the business goes under. Also if personal credit is bad use business credit while restablishing the personal credit. I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish. If you want a credit card then get it in what ever format you get it. If you want to build a business then focus on establishing and build the business. I would not be too much worried about paying the AF for the corporation or LLC. You have to decide first what you are trying to establish and your goals.

Message 12 of 19
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous 

Yes I can confirm I applied as a Sole proprietorship with my SSN for my Business Blue Cash and Business Gold Amx it does not report on personal reports. 

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all. Looks like they don't report even without EIN. 

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, let's say I apply for business credit cards with an EIN as a sole proprietary with no LLC, and establish business credit on that EIN.

Moving forward, if I apply for for business credit cards on that EIN 2-3-5 years layer, will they keep pulling my SSN forever, or will they pull my business credit report on that EIN?

Will there be a switch to EIN pulling instead of SSN pulling? 

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So, let's say I apply for business credit cards with an EIN as a sole proprietary with no LLC, and establish business credit on that EIN.

Moving forward, if I apply for for business credit cards on that EIN 2-3-5 years layer, will they keep pulling my SSN forever, or will they pull my business credit report on that EIN?

Will there be a switch to EIN pulling instead of SSN pulling? 

Anyone, please? 

Message 16 of 19
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Look into a single member LLC. If you are serious about business and plan on doing this for years to come, building credit, banking relationships, etc, skip the whole sole prop with an EIN idea and get a llc now. A sole prop isn't even viewed as a real business by most creditors, financial institutions, etc, with or without an EIN. 

What do you mean about switching from pulling SSN to EIN? With a LLC they use your EIN, not your SSN. They might still ask for SSN but that's usually for verification or if a personal guarantee is required.

2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@601flyguy wrote:

With a LLC they use your EIN, not your SSN. They might still ask for SSN but that's usually for verification or if a personal guarantee is required.

Does the same apply to Sole Proprietorship ? 

If I don't have a LLC, but have an EIN under Sole Proprietary and have business credit cards issued on that EIN so the business credit history is established after several years. And later I want to apply for additional business credit cards, will the pull my SSN (personal credit history) or business credit history linked to my EIN? 

Message 18 of 19
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@601flyguy wrote:

With a LLC they use your EIN, not your SSN. They might still ask for SSN but that's usually for verification or if a personal guarantee is required.

Does the same apply to Sole Proprietorship ? 

If I don't have a LLC, but have an EIN under Sole Proprietary and have business credit cards issued on that EIN so the business credit history is established after several years. And later I want to apply for additional business credit cards, will the pull my SSN (personal credit history) or business credit history linked to my EIN? 

Your question has already been answered. If that is your concern, you need a LLC. A sole proprietorship and an individual is viewed as one and the same by almost all financial institutions and the IRS. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.