Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Business credit card?

I have received an email from Marriott with a nice sign up bonus for their business AMEX. It's very intriguing, except I don't really have a business. How strict is AMEX about these business credit cards? I wonder if I could just make up a business name and use this for personal use. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: Business credit card?

Technically, you can start a sole-proprietorship right now by placing something for sale on ebay or whatever. That is how so many play the churning game. Different banks have different standards.

It will be a HP on your ss# but the TL will not report on your personal file. New business files will be opened for you. Many say it is best you take care of that on your own before applying.

I must say, there are a lot of good perks for business cards.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

what do you mean by take care of it, take care by doing what? what new biz files?

do they make you get a EIN# or a biz license or anything like that? do you have to start an LLC?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a ton of info in the Business 101 thead at the top of Types of Credit page, I suggest reading that to get a grasp on what you'll need to get a Biz CC.

That said, there are reports of people being approved for Amex Biz card fairly easy. Apply as a Sole Proprietor by entering you SSN where it asks for EIN. Hence using your good personal credit to secure it. While many hvae good results, it's not a guarantee for everyone. Depending upon you personal score and relatiohsip with Amex. If already a member. 

If you're one that doesn't mind a HP, no harm in trying. The worst thing that can happen is a denial. Which means you'll either need to work on your personal score a bit, or or improve your Amex relationship. 

FYI, they intend it to be for Business use. So if you apply with the intent to mislead, it may invoke AA. Just be warned.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.