Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCs that allow charges over limit?

tag
imaximous
Valued Contributor

CCs that allow charges over limit?

Hi,

Just wondering about people's experiences with charging significant amounts over their CLs. I was hoping to get some feedback with Chase, Citi or Barclays cards; but also any other banks on your lineup for consideration. (Not worried about having to pay the entire amount over the limit, btw.)

Amex is allowing up to nearly double the $30k limit on BBP now.

For reference, also got these cards with smaller limits: Chase Ink at $12k, Jetblue at $5k, Citi AA at $7k and Costco at $4k.

Thanks in advance for sharing...

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: CCs that allow charges over limit?

With Chase cards, theoretically if it's a Visa Signature card one can charge over the CL but how much probably depends on factors that are unknown to us. Might want to call Chase to see if they can tell you. With Barclays and Citi since they're both primairly MC I honestly don't know if they have same features as Visa for overlimit charging

Message 2 of 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Amex is the only one that I know you can charge WAY over the CL.. As mentioned one can slightly go over with Visa Sigature, but not near as much as AMEX will allow on Revolvers.  Pretty sure WEMC will allow it as well on business but not near the amount as AMEX allows

Message 3 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Why I think as far as business cards AMEX is ideal especially if you have a lot of large purchases to put through it especially on the charge cards

Please show me another bank and its biz cards that will allow you to charge six figures without having to pay it down to free more credit up Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

With Chase cards, theoretically if it's a Visa Signature card one can charge over the CL but how much probably depends on factors that are unknown to us. Might want to call Chase to see if they can tell you. With Barclays and Citi since they're both primairly MC I honestly don't know if they have same features as Visa for overlimit charging

Many lenders discontinued the NPSL (Flexible Spending requirements after August 1, 2015 with the reason of Risk Managment). At the time Visa and Mastercard followed each other. Also, the old hard limit of $5,000 CL to move up to cards such as Visa Signature, World and World Elite Master Cards were eliminated. In truth Citi Bank already had received prior approval to vary and they did.

Today, it is totally in the realm of the lenders and how each one wants to handle it. Don't assume because you have one of the higher tier cards you automatically have the over the limit option. US Bank told me they like to keep those that do have their cards with the NPSL to 10% to 20% of the actual limit and it does depend on the client relationship with them. have the computer do all determinations for over the limit charges on their products assigned revolving credit limits and it is strictly based on the findings at the time the charge is presented (credit background). The CSR told me they have seen over the limits requests declined for $0.01 cents so no guarantees!

Message 5 of 10
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Yes. Amex is in a different league. Even after doubling the CL on BBP, they still allow charges just as high on Gold and Amazon.

Citi isn't too terrible even with the small limits because they release the CL as soon as I make a payment without having to wait till next business day. Problem is when the charge is much higher than CL, plus I also have to wait till charges post to pay them off.

I've been using my personal cards because the limits are much higher than biz, but I've got burnt a few times now with cards reporting 80% to over 90% UTIL. I try to be careful, but sometimes, pending charges don't post on the last day of a cycle so I can pay them, but they still include them when the statement cuts that night -- if that makes sense.
Message 6 of 10
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

Many lenders discontinued the NPSL (Flexible Spending requirements after August 1, 2015 with the reason of Risk Managment). At the time Visa and Mastercard followed each other. Also, the old hard limit of $5,000 CL to move up to cards such as Visa Signature, World and World Elite Master Cards were eliminated. In truth Citi Bank already had received prior approval to vary and they did.

Today, it is totally in the realm of the lenders and how each one wants to handle it. Don't assume because you have one of the higher tier cards you automatically have the over the limit option. US Bank told me they like to keep those that do have their cards with the NPSL to 10% to 20% of the actual limit and it does depend on the client relationship with them.

Was that on business and personal cards for US Bank?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@imaximous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

Today, it is totally in the realm of the lenders and how each one wants to handle it. Don't assume because you have one of the higher tier cards you automatically have the over the limit option. US Bank told me they like to keep those that do have their cards with the NPSL to 10% to 20% of the actual limit and it does depend on the client relationship with them.

Good question? When I inquired it was only relating to personal credit cards that had the "revolving" credit limit option.

Just contacted US Bank and they said the computer handles all requests to go over the limits on the revolving credit lines and they (CSRs) have seen declines fo $0.01 so no guarantees on the amount.

My information dates back to 2013 so I updated myself and there is no absolute on 10% to 20%.

As to business cards such as the US Bank Business World Elite Master Cards and several other US Bank Business Cards it works the same as for personal cards.

Hope this update of December 23, 2019 was helpful.

Message 8 of 10
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

Good question? When I inquired it was only relating to personal credit cards that had the "revolving" credit limit option.

Just contacted US Bank and they said the computer handles all requests to go over the limits on the revolving credit lines and they (CSRs) have seen declines fo $0.01 so no guarantees on the amount.

My information dates back to 2013 so I updated myself and there is no absolute on 10% to 20%.

As to business cards such as the US Bank Business World Elite Master Cards and several other US Bank Business Cards it works the same as for personal cards.

Hope this update of December 23, 2019 was helpful.

Thanks for reaching out to USB. I've been using my AR much more lately, but have stayed within a couple of hundred $ of my $25k CL. I once tried to make a large purchase (over $16k) after being maxed out, and it was declined miserably Smiley LOL

I really thought it might go through since I had a nearly $0 balance, but they were holding my available CL for several days for making large payments. I haven't tried again with a smaller amount over the limit. I'm basically just cycling the limit 2 or 3 times but without trying to go over.

ETA for DP purposes: I realize the AR isn't a business card, but I made another big purchase and AR is now about $1100 over the limit.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not taken them waaay over the limit, maybe few hundred or few thousand

but have been over for all my biz cards at one time.

PNC, AMEX, BOA and Chase

And normally i paid them down like same day or very soon.

But they all allowed the purchase to go thru and throw it over the CL

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.