cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I close Amex Simply Cash before year one?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I close Amex Simply Cash before year one?

I know it is usually bad to close cards before they reach one year age wise, but I did not recieve any type of sign up bonus for the card. I really do not use this card what so ever anymore as I only put a few big transactions on it. I really want the BBP but I can not product change to it. Do you think I can reason with Amex?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I close Amex Simply Cash before year one?

I’d follow conventional wisdom and wait out the year. If you didn’t get a SUB on this one, you don’t want to look like an attempted churner with a fast closure, and then apply for BBP hoping for a SUB. Just let it sit in the SD. Once you have BBP, you could see about moving some limit from SC over to it and then closing it once you’re beyond a year.
Message 2 of 7
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know it is usually bad to close cards before they reach one year age wise, but I did not recieve any type of sign up bonus for the card. I really do not use this card what so ever anymore as I only put a few big transactions on it. I really want the BBP but I can not product change to it. Do you think I can reason with Amex?

I've been approved for 18 different AMEX cards over the last 3 years, none of the accounts were opened for a year. 

I would say you're fine. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could allow the card to close on it's own by not using it.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VPExecutive, as always YMMV. Your profile sounds like it’s pretty strong and I’m assuming you have a good relationship with Amex. OP may not, though, and caution is probably the way to go. There is a lot of documented history of Amex clawing SUBs back and barring future SUBs for people engaging in similar practices. To play it safe, leaving the card open past one year is likely the safer route.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

While you may not have received a SUB with this card, early closure may still play a role on whether you'd be eligible for any future SUBs.

Every action with Amex contributes to their decisions. That said, the BBP doesn't seem to have a SUB attached at the moment. So maybe there's no cause for concern. 

What's stoppoing you from just apping the BBP before closing this card, are you at their max 5 revolvers per account?

If this is the caes, just call tehm and explain that you feel the BBP would work better than the Simply Cash. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply for the BBP and then move your Simplycash CL over to it and then close.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.