Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase 5/24 Pull the trigger or wait?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Chase 5/24 Pull the trigger or wait?

I was at 6/24. In early August I hit my two year anniversary on three cards which would bring me to 3/24. My next goal is to get the chase ink preferred card. Can I app now or do I need to wait until Sept? It would be a chase business app in New York so not sure which credit bureau it will pull and I guess which report they pull will dictate whether or not it shows me being 6/24 or 3/24? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase 5/24 Pull the trigger or wait?

To be absolutely safe you can wait until September 1 but I've seen several datapoints that indicate that you can apply as soon as the calendar shows you're at less than 5 cards opened in the 24 months.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have a CSP and/or Ink as my next target. 

I may have misinterpreted but gained the impression, Chase will not count an Ink against the 5/24 (or you can acquire both Sapphire & Ink at the same time if you're at 4/24).

Message 3 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I also have a CSP and/or Ink as my next target. 

I may have misinterpreted other threads but gained the impression, Chase will not count an Ink against the 5/24 (or you can acquire both Sapphire & Ink at the same time if you're at 4/24).

That's my intent; after my latest acquisition reports.

Major SL wishes sent your way. 

The ink is a business card that does not count against 5/24 however, if you are at 5/24 or above then you will be denied an ink card. If you are at 4/24 then the best move is to app for the ink first and then go for the CSP. Some datatpoints have suggested that you should spread out your two apps though, because Chase has taken AA against some people for getting multiple cards at same time. I want to give it at least 30 days between my first chase app and second chase app. 

;
Message 4 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I was at 6/24. In early August I hit my two year anniversary on three cards which would bring me to 3/24. My next goal is to get the chase ink preferred card. Can I app now or do I need to wait until Sept? It would be a chase business app in New York so not sure which credit bureau it will pull and I guess which report they pull will dictate whether or not it shows me being 6/24 or 3/24? 

I believe you need to wait until September.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 5 of 16
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I want to give it at least 30 days between my first chase app and second chase app. 

That might be enough ... but why take chances?  IMO, 30 days is pretty tight for a conservative bank like Chase.

I've been on a Chase app run for past 15 months and been approved for four new cards.  I always allowed at least 90 days in between apps so as not to concern them and force any AA or denials.  That strategy has worked for me.  I've spaced my apps 3-6 months. 

I also have a pending app for World of Hyatt after three months with new Marriott Bonvoy Boundless approval and meeting the Marriott SUB. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I want to give it at least 30 days between my first chase app and second chase app. 

That might be enough ... but why take chances?  IMO, 30 days is pretty tight for a conservative bank like Chase.

I've been on a Chase app run for past 15 months and been approved for four new cards.  I always allowed at least 90 days in between apps so as not to concern them and force any AA or denials.  That strategy has worked for me.  I've spaced my apps 3-6 months. 

I also have a pending app for World of Hyatt after three months with new Marriott Bonvoy Boundless approval and meeting the Marriott SUB. 

"That might be enough ... but why take chances?  IMO, 30 days is pretty tight for a conservative bank like Chase." - because I need the points for an upcoming trip. I have a long long history with Chase and going for a personal card after a month wait from getting a business card does not feel unreasonable. 

;
Message 7 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

30 days absolutely wouldn't be enough waiting time if you're applying for four cards. I think it's probably OK if you intend to stop at two. But I'd feel more comfortable waiting longer.

Message 8 of 16
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:That might be enough ... but why take chances?  IMO, 30 days is pretty tight for a conservative bank like Chase.

"... because I need the points for an upcoming trip.  I have a long long history with Chase and going for a personal card after a month wait from getting a business card does not feel unreasonable."

You didn't mention the long history with Chase previously, so that might make a little difference. But I don't know if it's enough.

You asked for advice, though, and now that I see your desire for points, I believe that is tainting your decision towards pulling the trigger early rather than being what Chase might consider more prudent.  You might be okay with only applying now but I believe your risk level is much lower if you wait at least 30 days.  I would suggest you don't poke the dragon unless you are prepared for the consequences, which could include AA against your other accounts from what I've heard of Chase and the big banks.  As for me, I'm much more concerned about the long term relationship and I try not to do anything that might undermine it.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say go for it now!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.