Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Ink Business DENIED

tag
IodineNightSky
Regular Contributor

Chase Ink Business DENIED

Chase has been sending me mailers for this card for the past year probably. I have no history with Chase that I can recall. I did have a chapter 7 bankruptcy something like 15 years ago that might've included chase, I can't recall. 

My personal scores are low 700s, I think 707-720. 1% utilization w/ 100k in open personal credit.

In business 5.5 years. 250k revenue for 150k income. I'm at 0/24 (no new accts or inquiries for 2 years) and was super proud of it bc I used to be a big time credit seeker a handful a years ago. 

I have 4-6 paid charge offs that are slated to drop off in 2022. 

I thought about responding to the chase offers for the past year and finally broke down yesterday and app'd.

instant denial. 

pretty bummed about it. I really wish they'd only send these mailers out if they've actually run the recipient thru their systems first. My scores have risen probably 25-30 points from when they first started sending the mailers earlier this year. 

In any event, just a cautionary tale since most of the chase ink offers I've seen discussed here have resulted in approvals. 

I'll update next week when I get the basis for the denial in the mail. 

Current FICO 8s:
EQ: 712 - TU: 719 - EX: 707
Mortgage Ficos: EQ5: 708 - TU4: 729 - EX2: 700
Current Middle Mortgage Score: 708
Goal Scores: 740+

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase Ink Business DENIED

@IodineNightSky, Sorry for your INK denial, have you thought to call and try to recon this?

Message 2 of 9
IodineNightSky
Regular Contributor

I might, depending on the basis for the denial (which i should get early next week, I believe). I've never recon'd anything before but if the basis for denial is something that doesnt make sense, I probably will. The popped me wiht a hard inquiry on both EQ and EX which I expected but I assumed I would get the card so I was OK with it. Once I get the denial letter in the mail I'll update what the basis was and, prehaps, Recon. 

Current FICO 8s:

Message 3 of 9
RealEstateGuy89
Frequent Contributor

@IodineNightSky wrote:

I might, depending on the basis for the denial (which i should get early next week, I believe). I've never recon'd anything before but if the basis for denial is something that doesnt make sense, I probably will. The popped me wiht a hard inquiry on both EQ and EX which I expected but I assumed I would get the card so I was OK with it. Once I get the denial letter in the mail I'll update what the basis was and, prehaps, Recon. 

Sorry to hear of your denial at Chase. I was hoping that you would share your results here @IodineNightSky. I have been thinking about apping for the card but I keep holding off as I keep trying to tweek both my personal/ business credit profiles to be more of what Chase likes. Thanks! 

Message 4 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@IodineNightSky wrote:

Chase has been sending me mailers for this card for the past year probably. I have no history with Chase that I can recall. I did have a chapter 7 bankruptcy something like 15 years ago that might've included chase, I can't recall. 

My personal scores are low 700s, I think 707-720. 1% utilization w/ 100k in open personal credit.

In business 5.5 years. 250k revenue for 150k income. I'm at 0/24 (no new accts or inquiries for 2 years) and was super proud of it bc I used to be a big time credit seeker a handful a years ago. 

I have 4-6 paid charge offs that are slated to drop off in 2022. 

I thought about responding to the chase offers for the past year and finally broke down yesterday and app'd.

instant denial. 

pretty bummed about it. I really wish they'd only send these mailers out if they've actually run the recipient thru their systems first. My scores have risen probably 25-30 points from when they first started sending the mailers earlier this year. 

In any event, just a cautionary tale since most of the chase ink offers I've seen discussed here have resulted in approvals. 

I'll update next week when I get the basis for the denial in the mail. 

Sorry about the denial.  I once had a preapproval for their Chase Ink Preferred, applied, and was denied for 5/24. And my scores were fairly high at the time. So I can relate. Chase is tough. And they're big on sending invitations.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 5 of 9
IodineNightSky
Regular Contributor

I'm back - sorry about that! 

@RealEstateGuy89 I got the denial letter and it listed a couple things:

1) that my business credit UT is too high (which is a bit unlucky when they'll pulled it because while i have about $100k in personal revolvers with less than 1% reporting, I only have about 5k in business revolvers (just two cards) and I charge about 3k on them each month and PIF with each statement, so i guess my business UT is high but i PIF each month (literally, never carriered a balance) and i have 100k in open revolvers in my personal credit, which they HP'd TWO TIMES); 

2) the denial notice also said something like "unsatisfactory history with Chase". I currently dont have any Chase cards. I did have a BK7 back in 2007-08 and i didnt think Chase was part of that, but it might have been I guess. Zero chance i've had anything with them since then, so i suspect i had a personal chase card in my BK7 and i'm blacklisted, i guess forever. 

The thing that really frustrates me is if I'm blacklisted, how about you not send me mailers to apply for Chase cards every other month for the past couple years?! I can understand they want to blacklist me, fair enough, i'd probably do the same if i were them (despite my credit being really solid and that being 12 years ago that i defaulted on their card, if i did). 

In any event, every Chase mailer for the rest of my natural life is going straight into the shredder. 

Current FICO 8s:

Message 6 of 9
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Did you call the recon line, though?

I also got denied recently and was able to get an approval after requesting a manual review of my file. You may be pleasantly surprised too. You really got nothing to lose at this point other than a few minutes on the phone.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Chase 5/24 rule is a tough pill to swallow. Although, it would be convenient if they assigned that rule only to personal cards, thereby, making any business apps eligible. 

Message 8 of 9
RealEstateGuy89
Frequent Contributor

@IodineNightSky wrote:

I'm back - sorry about that! 

@RealEstateGuy89 I got the denial letter and it listed a couple things:

1) that my business credit UT is too high (which is a bit unlucky when they'll pulled it because while i have about $100k in personal revolvers with less than 1% reporting, I only have about 5k in business revolvers (just two cards) and I charge about 3k on them each month and PIF with each statement, so i guess my business UT is high but i PIF each month (literally, never carriered a balance) and i have 100k in open revolvers in my personal credit, which they HP'd TWO TIMES); 

2) the denial notice also said something like "unsatisfactory history with Chase". I currently dont have any Chase cards. I did have a BK7 back in 2007-08 and i didnt think Chase was part of that, but it might have been I guess. Zero chance i've had anything with them since then, so i suspect i had a personal chase card in my BK7 and i'm blacklisted, i guess forever. 

The thing that really frustrates me is if I'm blacklisted, how about you not send me mailers to apply for Chase cards every other month for the past couple years?! I can understand they want to blacklist me, fair enough, i'd probably do the same if i were them (despite my credit being really solid and that being 12 years ago that i defaulted on their card, if i did). 

In any event, every Chase mailer for the rest of my natural life is going straight into the shredder. 

IodineNightSky:

Oh Man, I’m sorry to hear that they did a HP 2 times!  That would bother me a lot.  Thanks for sharing your situation.  I think it’s great that you use your business credit cards that much and PIF every month.  With such good usage every month, I would think you would be able to contact the card issuers and ask for a credit line increase and get  them easily.  This would further your biz credit as well.  

Also, you could call the Chase underwriting phone number and ask for reconsideration on your denial.  It’s always worth a try and sometimes it comes out well.  At least then, you could talk to the underwriter and ask them what is holding you back from getting a Chase card.  A lot of times they can tell you exactly what you need to do in order to get an approval next time and then you would know if it is due to your BK or something that would be easy to fix in your profile.

I’m not sure if Chase would bother going back that many years or not.  I had a couple Washington Mutual cards years ago, just before they turned in the Chase, but that is as close as I have come.  I have not pulled the trigger on a Chase card and it will be quite sometime if I ever do decide to go and try to get one. 

Have you tried to go for the FNBO Business Evergreen?  I like that card a lot and have received generous credit limits on both the personal and business cards.  Please update us if you do decide to do a recon in case anybody else here can help after you find out what is holding you back.  Best of luck to you!

REG89

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.