Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank closed account - next move?

tag
Heyaeveryone
New Visitor

Citibank closed account - next move?

Hello, 

I've had my citibank prestige card for 7 years now, never late, I spend about 20k per month and pay it off every month (business overhead) and there have been an issue very recently -  I had auto payment 'on' then thought I turned it off but it stayed on. I contacted support, they walked me through turning it off but it stayed on, now recently it autopayed again and there wasn't enough money in the account. This is my first issue ever with them and my account is closed. I payed the card off entirely then contacted support and they wont reopen it. I have proof (texts from contacting customer support showing the history of my attempt to turn it off) but they still wont reinstate the account. I really liked this card because of the point system but now I need to move on so, I'm asking, generally speaking from a cashback/points view (I buy a lot of materials for work, lots of business meetings dining out, I have customers work lunch catered, I buy all of my computing equipment through this card, etc) Can anyone suggest a good card for that?  This post is supposed to serve as both a bit of a warning towards citibank based on my experience and also asking for any advice moving forward. My fico score is over 800. 

Thank so much! 

Heya

4 REPLIES 4
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

Re: Citibank closed account - next move?

@Heyaeveryone wrote:

Hello, 

I've had my citibank prestige card for 7 years now, never late, I spend about 20k per month and pay it off every month (business overhead) and there have been an issue very recently -  I had auto payment 'on' then thought I turned it off but it stayed on. I contacted support, they walked me through turning it off but it stayed on, now recently it autopayed again and there wasn't enough money in the account. This is my first issue ever with them and my account is closed. I payed the card off entirely then contacted support and they wont reopen it. I have proof (texts from contacting customer support showing the history of my attempt to turn it off) but they still wont reinstate the account. I really liked this card because of the point system but now I need to move on so, I'm asking, generally speaking from a cashback/points view (I buy a lot of materials for work, lots of business meetings dining out, I have customers work lunch catered, I buy all of my computing equipment through this card, etc) Can anyone suggest a good card for that?  This post is supposed to serve as both a bit of a warning towards citibank based on my experience and also asking for any advice moving forward. My fico score is over 800. 

Thank so much! 

Heya

From what  I see, they won't reopen the account once they realized you were using a personal card for business expenses. 

Also, the card you might want to get is the American Express Business Gold credit card.  4x Dining. 4x Computing up to 150,000 a year. MR points can be redeemed towards flights, or even cash at 1:1 rate if open a an American Express Business checking account.

It's a charge card though so you have to pay in full at the end of each statement. 

Message 2 of 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Heyaeveryone wrote:

Hello, 

Thank so much! 

Heya

I don't know much about business cards, but what I do know is that Citi certainly did reverse some of the closures/CLDs, and it involved writing to EO.

As long as they don't suspect fraud/abuse, there is a chance, especially since you have back up documentation, and your spend did not exceed reported income. 

If you have a real business and it appears that you do, business cards are your best friend. Plenty of them have rewards similar to personal variety, so you won't be losing anything. 

Good luck! 

Message 3 of 5
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

From what I am gathering here, I think it's time you go look at what AMEX has to offer.

3/4/23

Message 4 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Heyaeveryone wrote:

Hello, 

Thank so much! 

Heya

My advice would be to get a business credit card, rather than a personal credit card.

My personal favorites are the Amex Blue Business Cash and the FNBO Business Evergreen, both of which return 2% cash back across the board.  The 2% from Amex is capped at 50k spend, while the FNBO card is uncapped.

Other good cards are the Chase Ink cards, the Amex Blue Business Plus, and the US Bank Triple Cash Rewards card.

The Hilton Business card is very good if you can use Hilton points and free nights.

If you do a lot of business travel, you might benefit from the Amex Business Platinum if you don't mind paying the hefty annual fee.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.