Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Company credit showing on personal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Company credit showing on personal

Hey guys

I need guidance. I had a company where we had one supplier. The company shut down and this supplied claimed we owed them $2000.00

I never signed any guarantees or anything with this supplier.

While checking my credit report today I noticed that they had filed a collection on me personally through a collection agency in my state.

How can I dispute this item from my report? It is on my experian report, I have not checked the others CRA reports.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Company credit showing on personal

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys

I need guidance. I had a company where we had one supplier. The company shut down and this supplied claimed we owed them $2000.00

While checking my credit report today I noticed that they had filed a collection on me personally through a collection agency in my state.

How can I dispute this item from my report? It is on my experian report, I have not checked the others CRA reports.

Thank you

dispute that it was company debt that was not personally guaranteed... they will need to prove that it was or it should be deleted.

What supplier though?

Message 2 of 9
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys

Thank you

While you may not have PG anything, if you dissolved your business without paying off any debt or filing bankruptcy, they may have the right to come after you personally, though not by what they are doing but only they sue you. If your business is not an LLC or an Corp, they can come after you personally. However, if its one of those two and you signed the contract/agreemet with the vendor, did you do it with the title as well on the behalf of the company or was it in your name? However, you should dispute whats on your report as well as contacting the collection agency and validating the debt and provide all agreements and contracts that gives them the right to come to you personally and if they dont within 30 days they must cease all collection. Also contact your vendor to find out whats going on. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

it was a corp, i never signed anything. my office manager did. For them to collectt for me personall they need to pierce the corporate veil, which they cannot that easily.

I do not have any documents that were signed. The company shut down almost 2 years ago.

Should I dispute the entry online or should I do it in writing with experian?

Message 4 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

it was a corp, i never signed anything. my office manager did. For them to collectt for me personall they need to pierce the corporate veil, which they cannot that easily.

I do not have any documents that were signed. The company shut down almost 2 years ago.

online is fine. I believe there is a dispute for business something

Message 5 of 9
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would dispute it both online and in writing. For online, there should be an entry for stating that account regarding a business account and shouldnt be on your personal report, and you should also you should contact the collection agency. If your office manager did, find out how it was signed. These documents should always be kept for atleast 10 years. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello folks

I disputed the debt with the CA as was suggested here and the CA responded with a canned response which clearly shows that I did not signup for anything. Just random invoices from what they say the company owed them.

Few weeks later someone served me a notice of lawsuit that was filed for the $2000.00 in March 2015 (I guess they did not have my address until I disputed) . But the creditor sued me personally.

What is the best course of action in such a situation?

An attorney retainer will be atleast $3k, what is the best way to defend myself on this?

Thank you

Message 7 of 9
silkysean
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello folks

I disputed the debt with the CA as was suggested here and the CA responded with a canned response which clearly shows that I did not signup for anything. Just random invoices from what they say the company owed them.

Few weeks later someone served me a notice of lawsuit that was filed for the $2000.00 in March 2015 (I guess they did not have my address until I disputed) . But the creditor sued me personally.

What is the best course of action in such a situation?

An attorney retainer will be atleast $3k, what is the best way to defend myself on this?

Thank you

What they did was come after you personally for the debt and they sued you filing a motion and everything and they were slick to know they could not not find you and thus the lawyers filed for default judgement and since you could not be found judgement was entered against you and once that happens if you don't respond and or pay then judgement will now appear against you in public files as well as on credit report.Once you disputed they had updated info. And again attempted to serve you which they did.Its a way around the legal law and hard to dispute.You can dispute but by you not answering a court motion and not being found Creditor went after last known address.Basically the only protection is if you filed Bk or hire a lawyer and fight but it f its $2,000 plus court fees and interest you would be better off paying a settlement and trying to delete.Honestly if you know valid debt and your company did order or get this if your not under Bk protection best to pay cause you won't win been in similar situations and wasted money and on Lawyers when in the end a settlement still was reached and I could have done this myself.

Message 8 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would call the collection company or lawyer and ask for debt validation with your personal guarantee and signature showing that is you beyond the company that is responsible.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.