cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creative ways of getting around new law noticed.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creative ways of getting around new law noticed.

Hi,

Has anyone noticed any interesting ways that banks/creditcards companies are bypassing the new laws?

In the last 2 weeks I have seen many twists and turns.

First, I received a letter from Discover Business Card, saying that my account was going to be closed and sold to another private party to be named later... I received this letter on November 5, 2010 and was to take effect, as the letter stated on Oct 31, 2010. Nice right.  Oh and BTW Discover business credit cards report to my personal credit report and they have always said to me that they are not allowed to report it to my corporate credit report.  Yes, it is a Discover "Business" Credit account.

Secondly, when I went to pay my personal citibank card online, I noticed it said account closed at customers request on the top of the page.  Now, I know that this is incorrect, so I called Citibank and was told very rudely that I had to have asked for it to be closed or it wouldn't have been closed. Yes, I had the same thought... Must be a paer trail right, so I asked for the evidence and was told that there was no way that this could be proven...  What could I do next??? Ask for a manager of course.  BTW, ALWAYS ASK FOR A MANAGER OR SUPERVISOR!!! EVEN IF YOU KNOW THE MANAGER WILL SAY NO.  Anyways, after a lot of going back and forth (10 minutes worth of me saying, manager please, over and over again), I received a manager... or at least I had thought.  This CSR told me that I was sent a letter 2 1/2 years ago that stated my card would be closed automatically when the expiration date was hit.  I knew this was not true and stated so. As a business owner, I am very anal about details and keeping track of accounts (you absolutely have to in this day of banking/credit fraud). Not only was I told years ago I opted in or out of something, I was told, NO, I could not be sent a copy of what they were talking about... At this point, I knew I had a case of fraud going on.  I asked for this persons manager or supervisor and was told they didn't have one.  I knew only the board members of Citibank didn't have a supervisor... So, I asked again and again (about 20 times) and I heard a series of clicks, then viola a new person said their name and title of supervisor.  I had to quickly calm down, knowing better to not take out frustrations on each and every person in the chain.  I had a great conversation with that supervisor, who apologized multiple times for this obvious error.  They also stated that this will take about 10 days to clear up, so I will reply later with a status on this one.

I would love to hear if others have been blessed with stranger and stranger credit happenings.

H.Willcox

DisabledVetBizOwner

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Creative ways of getting around new law noticed.

Well I'm sorry two of your accounts got closed however :

1.  Business cards are not protected under the new law

2. the bank closing your account also would not have any protection by the new law

3. I to have had a citi card say they would not renew my card upon expiration which I found really odd since I had over 3 years before expiration!! 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.