cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied: Unable to verify business identity

tag
inth3moment

Denied: Unable to verify business identity

I applied for a business credit card with Citizens Bank a few weeks ago.

I just received a letter with their reason for denial, with the sole reason stating that they cannot verify the identity of my business.

I applied for two business CC with AMEX and one with BOA just a week prior to my Citizens Bank application and was approved for all of them.

Does anyone know what I should do next to get more information? There is no phone number on the letter from Citizens Bank, only a mailing address.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Denied: Unable to verify business identity

Here is what I did.

I tried to open an account with Truist.  Any account.  Since I do not have relationship with Truist.  But every time when I tried to apply, personal checking, business checking and credit card, Truist said it can't verify my personal information...... 

So I stopped by a Truist branch.  There is none that is close by me.  But that one is about 40 minutes from me.  I had a trip in that area.

So I sat down with the banker inside the branche.  I had all the paper documents with me.  She opened my personal checking and business checking.  Then she said I was pre-approved for both personal and business credit cards.  I said no.  I only want to establish relationship with Truist.  Other can come later.

It is as easy as that.  Just a single trip.  Assume we can find a branch....

Message 2 of 8
inth3moment

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Here is what I did.

I tried to open an account with Truist.  Any account.  Since I do not have relationship with Truist.  But every time when I tried to apply, personal checking, business checking and credit card, Truist said it can't verify my personal information...... 

So I stopped by a Truist branch.  There is none that is close by me.  But that one is about 40 minutes from me.  I had a trip in that area.

So I sat down with the banker inside the branche.  I had all the paper documents with me.  She opened my personal checking and business checking.  Then she said I was pre-approved for both personal and business credit cards.  I said no.  I only want to establish relationship with Truist.  Other can come later.

It is as easy as that.  Just a single trip.  Assume we can find a branch....

Thanks that's actually really helpful, however, this is not for my own personal identity. So even if I did show up in person, they still might have the same issue verifying my business.

If I needed the business credit card then it would be worth the trip.

I'm trying to figure out what they couldn't find and where they were looking so that I can try and fix this but it's like a black box with no information.

Message 3 of 8
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

same thing happened to me recently - went thru the whole process got shown my SL and then denial for this reason

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 4 of 8
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@inth3moment wrote:

I just received a letter with their reason for denial, with the sole reason stating that they cannot verify the identity of my business.

I applied for two business CC with AMEX and one with BOA just a week prior to my Citizens Bank application and was approved for all of them.

Does anyone know what I should do next to get more information? There is no phone number on the letter from Citizens Bank, only a mailing address.

@inth3moment 

Good luck, hope you're able to get it resolved.

Lending Direct#: 1-866-248-4936
Choose, Opt #2

Business Services:
1-888-798-4600

[4/23] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 5, TU 1. AoOA=14.8y, AoYA=9m.
TCL $618K: Personal $512K, Business $106K.
Message 5 of 8
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

AmEx is known for not checking business info.  You can open an AmEx biz CC with "Joe Jackson" as the company name.  AmEx would not care.  Its small biz cards are based on personal credit.

Some of the other and more common banks would require business documents.  Mainly EIN, state registration or/and business formation documents.  With those, the business can be verified.  Those are all public info that you register with IRS and state government.

Assume this is legit and registered business.  If this is a home based eBay shop or a roadside lemonade stand, then they can't be verified.

Message 6 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@inth3moment wrote:

They might want to see your organization document filed with the state.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 8
GTS
Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

AmEx is known for not checking business info.  You can open an AmEx biz CC with "Joe Jackson" as the company name.  AmEx would not care.  Its small biz cards are based on personal credit.

@BronzeTrader does AmEx still base it off personal credit if using an EIN. I know they do a PG but if on the AmEx personal credit Black List would that affect approval odds?

FICO 8/9:

Chase FF WEMC-$25,200 CL
Chase IHG Premier WEMC-$16,700 CL
Amex BCP-$10,000 CL
PayPal cashback WMC-$8,000 Cl
RCU Platnum Visa-$5,000 CL
Cap1 Savor One WEMC-$5,000 CL
Disco It-$8,000 CL
Disco It-$5,200 CL
Cap1 Quicksilver WEMC-$3,400 CL

Citi Corporate MC-$5,000 CL
AU Citi AA Advantage-$30,000 CL
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.