cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I bother trying for a corporate Amex?

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Do I bother trying for a corporate Amex?

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's an update. After a lengthy waiting period while my manager sent approval for me to apply for the card to my companies program administrator I'm happy to report my card for the corporate card was approved! Now I just have to wait a few months and see if having the corporate card will help me get approved for a personal card or not.

Congrats on being approved 

When it comes to the Corp cards admin has the final say so 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 21 of 25
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

NM

Message 22 of 25
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Several years ago when my credit was absolutely shot (I was in the low-mid 500s with lots of baddies on my reports), I worked for one of the big 4 consulting firms, and was required to have an AMEX corporate card. I applied and was approved with no problems, don't even recall seeing any pulls on my credit reports for it.

Your particular situation is a little different. Your credit could have been in the toilet, but if you never had an account with AMEX that was charged off, you weren't blacklisted.

Three years after bankruptcy, my credit score is back up to just under 700, but AMEX will not even initiate a hard pull for a personal card and will not add me as an AU on my wife's card. I'm rather certain they will deny me on the corporate card and even though I'm sure the administrator can likely override that, it doesn't alleviate the embarrassment of the situation.

The reality is, I don't need the card right now and until the day comes that I do, I probably won't bother with it.

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys. I had an Amex card back in 1990 and charged 23K on it. I lost the business and couldnt pay the Balance. In 2000, I tried being added as an authorized user to a friends card and was declined before my buddy could get off the phone. I tried again in 2006, and declined again. Maybe the 3rd time is a charm 26 years later in 2016?

Message 24 of 25
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@ReturnOfTheCredi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Several years ago when my credit was absolutely shot (I was in the low-mid 500s with lots of baddies on my reports), I worked for one of the big 4 consulting firms, and was required to have an AMEX corporate card. I applied and was approved with no problems, don't even recall seeing any pulls on my credit reports for it.

Your particular situation is a little different. Your credit could have been in the toilet, but if you never had an account with AMEX that was charged off, you weren't blacklisted.

Three years after bankruptcy, my credit score is back up to just under 700, but AMEX will not even initiate a hard pull for a personal card and will not add me as an AU on my wife's card. I'm rather certain they will deny me on the corporate card and even though I'm sure the administrator can likely override that, it doesn't alleviate the embarrassment of the situation.

The reality is, I don't need the card right now and until the day comes that I do, I probably won't bother with it.

About the embarassment - if the employer performed a background check, they know whether you've declared bankruptcy already.

But, as you pointed out, if you don't need the card, it's probably not worth the bother. In fact, many people have been saying that recently; Amex still has a bit of luster to them, but Amex is also undertaking several cost-cutting initiatives which may be to protect against the impending departure of loyal Costco cardholder customers.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.