cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you still need a "listed" business phone number?

tag
Expansion
Regular Contributor

Do you still need a "listed" business phone number?

Is it still necessary to have a listed business phone number, in order to be approved for business credit? 

(Like, getting a business landline so your phone number is included in the phone book?)  

Can you "get away" with just using your cell phone number?

I've been using my cell phone as my business number for a zillion years and it's on all of my promotional materials, website, etc.

Having a business landline just to get listed seems kind of antiquated, so if others have successfully gotten credit without it, I'd love to know.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do you still need a "listed" business phone number?

It really depends on the particular lender, but I've been able to use a mobile number as a separate business line without any issues (at least for the lenders I use). I have separate devices for both personal and biz.

Which particular lender are you interested in applying?

Message 2 of 7
Expansion
Regular Contributor

Thank you for asking and thank you for sharing your experience! 

I appreciate you sharing your experience that you didn't need a "listed" business phone number.

I recently applied for Torpago and also a Home Depot Commercial Account.  And I'm also interested in Office Depot and Staples. 

But really just getting started with building business credit in general.

Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Expansion wrote:

Thank you for asking and thank you for sharing your experience! 

I appreciate you sharing your experience that you didn't need a "listed" business phone number.

I recently applied for Torpago and also a Home Depot Commercial Account.  And I'm also interested in Office Depot and Staples. 

But really just getting started with building business credit in general.

No worries.

We all have to start somewhere so these are great questions to ask. 

Depending on the history or strength of your business credit profile, you can definitely try for no-PG options, including the Office Depot or Staples business accounts.

Personally, I wouldn't go for too many of the same unless your business shops a lot at any of these stores.

But, as far as a land line goes, most lenders are perfectly ok with a mobile number.

Message 4 of 7
Expansion
Regular Contributor

Thank you for helping me with my newbie questions.  Do you find it's important to have a separate number for your business and personal contact info, on the applications?  

Message 5 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Expansion wrote:

Thank you for helping me with my newbie questions.  Do you find it's important to have a separate number for your business and personal contact info, on the applications?  

Not necessarily. It's a matter of preference depending on how you manage daily life and/or what type of business you have. I have two lines just to keep things a bit organized.

Granted, there's pros/cons depending on an individual's situation and the type of business enterprise. For instance, there could be a major carrier/network outage that can leave you dead in the water for a while so having a land line as a form of resiliency to minimize business disruptions can make sense, but then again it just depends.

Message 6 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I agree with @FinStar that it really depends on what you're doing with your phone more than the fact that it may also be a personal number.   For me I've always used the same number for both biz and personal and never had any issues, but I don't have a lot of inbound biz related calls.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.