cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having rental property count as business?

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Does having rental property count as business?

I would think it does and I'm the sole proprietor, right?

Just curious about the possibility of an Ink card in the future. Also, thinking about doing other side jobs as well since my full time job allows for so much time off.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Does having rental property count as business?

I would say so 

You need credit for repairs, materials etc etc all business expenses 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

I was thinking it would be justifiable if asked. I may go for a business card sometime either later this year or next year.

Are approvals based off personal credit seeing how I would just enter my SSN for sole proprietor?

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The nice part about the Business Card is breaking out your expenses clearly from personal. Also, many cards do not report regularly to the credit bureaus. Love that feature.
Message 4 of 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:
I was thinking it would be justifiable if asked. I may go for a business card sometime either later this year or next year.

Are approvals based off personal credit seeing how I would just enter my SSN for sole proprietor?

I believe you can turn rental property into a business.

However, if you're going to get a business CC for this purpose, you may be asked for proof that the business actually exists.  I'd be prepared to produce various documents like business checking statements, tax returns, profit/loss statements, licenses, permits, state and local filings, etc.  Many of these things are required or make sense whether you're a sole proprietor, LLC, S corporation, or regular corporation.

Small business CCs are typically based on personal credit, whether you have EINs or just an SSN.  I have both an EIN for a specific business, and an "owner EIN" that is separate from any business, but I still am required to personally guarantee the credit for my Chase Ink and Citibusiness cards.

Message 5 of 9
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

I believe you can turn rental property into a business.

However, if you're going to get a business CC for this purpose, you may be asked for proof that the business actually exists.  I'd be prepared to produce various documents like business checking statements, tax returns, profit/loss statements, licenses, permits, state and local filings, etc.  Many of these things are required or make sense whether you're a sole proprietor, LLC, S corporation, or regular corporation.

Small business CCs are typically based on personal credit, whether you have EINs or just an SSN.  I have both an EIN for a specific business, and an "owner EIN" that is separate from any business, but I still am required to personally guarantee the credit for my Chase Ink and Citibusiness cards.

Thanks for the great info!

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 6 of 9
awp317
Frequent Contributor

I would hope so. Rentals are more than 50% of my companies income lol

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 7 of 9
blackandgray

I applied for a business card with the intent of using my rental property as my "business". I researched before applying and even asked people's opinion on whether or not I would get accepted if I put down my property as a business. One person warned me that when you tell a lender that the business is a rental property, prepared to get grilled. Were they ever right! I was grilled to what seemed like no end, but I answered everything truthfully. In the end I got declined. And I had clean reports and a 760 score to boot!

Message 8 of 9
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Thanks

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.