Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIRST EVER AMEX - Delta Gold - Have questions

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: FIRST EVER AMEX - Delta Gold - Have questions

If you were approved for a personal amex "Credit Card" I would go ahead and apply for a business Gold or platinum "Charge card" now.  Then in 61 days apply for your 3x CLI on your personal delta... if approved, then you can turn around and apply for a business credit card if you like or keep using charge card if you can pay in full.

Message 11 of 85
StudentSam
New Contributor

It was the Personal Amex Delta Skymiles, They approved me at $5,000 credit limit to start. I'm going to use it and pay it off in full a few times, any ideas on what I should use it for and how much I should use in my first 60 days? Want to play this smartr!

I applied for a citi business credit card and got denied  (before I did the amex personal) so I  may just let the business thing sit for a while.. Unless you recommend applying for the charge card now..

Will they approve me ? 

Starting Score: 506
Current Score: 720
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 85
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@StudentSam wrote:

It was the Personal Amex Delta Skymiles, They approved me at $5,000 credit limit to start. I'm going to use it and pay it off in full a few times, any ideas on what I should use it for and how much I should use in my first 60 days? Want to play this smartr!

I applied for a citi business credit card and got denied  (before I did the amex personal) so I  may just let the business thing sit for a while.. Unless you recommend applying for the charge card now..

Will they approve me ? 

Now that you are an AmEx member any additional applications will be a SP for denial but a HP if you get it. $5K a nice starting line on the Delta. In 61 days you should be at $15K with the 3X increase maximum. Better than me, my first was the Delta Platinum at $2K. 

You could try for a revolver but don't do it. I know it's hard - I just went thru what you are doing a year ago. You were already denied a personal charge before the Delta card so chances are it will be another denial. Give it some time as they saw something they thought worth adding you as a customer. Don't go against it. Just keep pushing like you are and get the 3X CLI first. If you go blowing HOP for denials you will end up waiting even longer for those to drop. 

Message 13 of 85
StudentSam
New Contributor

Okay so go for a  Gold, Silver, Plum ? All diff charge cards for business.

Which one should I go for ?

Thanks!

Those are the only options 

I wasnt denied a personal charge card i was denied citi business credit card.. I didn't apply for any personal credit there

Message 14 of 85
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@StudentSam wrote:

Okay so go for a  Gold, Silver, Plum ? All diff charge cards for business.

Which one should I go for ?

Thanks!

Those are the only options 

I wasnt denied a personal charge card i was denied citi business credit card.. I didn't apply for any personal credit there

I would apply for Gold Business Charge and NOW!

Message 15 of 85
StudentSam
New Contributor

Really? Okay. I'l ltry it out. Could I ever upgrade to PLUM from the gold? The reason I like the plum is all of my colleagues have it and say the 1.5% cash back is amazing. Considering I spend upwards of 2-5k a day on ads with my credit card, and pay it off within 7 days each time, I probably could use the 1.5% cahs back and it'd help me a lot... but I hear it's harder to get then a regular charge card

sorry for being a newb just overwhelmed with all the little intricisies of these credit cards

thanks so much for the help

Message 16 of 85
myjourney
Super Contributor

@StudentSam wrote:

Really? Okay. I'l ltry it out. Could I ever upgrade to PLUM from the gold? The reason I like the plum is all of my colleagues have it and say the 1.5% cash back is amazing. Considering I spend upwards of 2-5k a day on ads with my credit card, and pay it off within 7 days each time, I probably could use the 1.5% cahs back and it'd help me a lot... but I hear it's harder to get then a regular charge card

sorry for being a newb just overwhelmed with all the little intricisies of these credit cards

thanks so much for the help

You can not upgrade a charge card to a revolver so be aware of this before taking any advice to apply

upgrade rule with Amex

Revolver - revolver

charge -charge 

Hope this clears that up before you apply

If I were you OP I would just apply for the card I wanted (plum)

as sceneryguy said its a SP if denied HP if approved win win chance

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 17 of 85
StudentSam
New Contributor

I though the plum card was a charge card , right ? Or is it a revolve.. I'm saying if i apply for the Amex Gold Charge card, I can't get the Amex plum in due time with good spend/billing history ?

Thanks

Message 18 of 85
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If you want Plum, Apply for that... If denied.. go right back in and apply for Gold.

Plum is charge but they are harder to get then Gold and platinum for whatever reason - at least it use to be... but you got $5k personal... i think your are golden for charge card approval of your choice.

Message 19 of 85
StudentSam
New Contributor

oKay so none of the denials will **bleep** my credit score up right ? Thanks so much guys.

Also a side note, my buddy added me as an Authorized User of his Plum card last year in 2012, there's no shot fo me being backdated to that date when my SSN was entered into the system? he spent a lot of money and paid it off so I definitly think being on his Amex as an authorized user helped me get the Amex Gold Personal Delta card with a 5k limit, but then again the way you guys say Amex is random who really knows!

And I saw some ppl mentioning callign Amex and asking for a "Product Change" with the delta gold skymiles to maybe get the BCE or cash back card? I really don't travel a lot at all so the delta card isn't the most appealing to me, but hey it's a foot in the door with Amex and I do a lot of transactions so I'd love to build a good relationship with them

Message 20 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.