Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First AMEX Business Credit Card !

tag
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

First AMEX Business Credit Card !

After doing some reading, I decided to apply for the American Express SimplyCash Plus Credit Card with the $500 statement credit promotion. Once on the landing page, and once I logged in, the application changed and it did not ask me for my SSN or a Tax ID, ask for my business name, employee and revenue - Approved. SL $2000, its a start !.

Now the question is does the AMEX Business side 3X CLI work like Personal ? if so does it effect the time clock ?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First AMEX Business Credit Card !

Following yours too

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PointsBonus wrote:

After doing some reading, I decided to apply for the American Express SimplyCash Plus Credit Card with the $500 statement credit promotion. Once on the landing page, and once I logged in, the application changed and it did not ask me for my SSN or a Tax ID, ask for my business name, employee and revenue - Approved. SL $2000, its a start !.

Now the question is does the AMEX Business side 3X CLI work like Personal ? if so does it effect the time clock ?

Yes, the same CLI ‘rules’ apply to business cards as well.  Keep in mind though that the rules are account wide meaning that you can only get one CLI (User requested) every 6 months regardless of how many cards you might have with them. Congrats on the approval.

They didn’t ask for your SSN because they already know it from your existing account.

Message 3 of 10
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Thank you !!
Great information

Message 4 of 10
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PointsBonus wrote:

Yes, the same CLI ‘rules’ apply to business cards as well.  Keep in mind though that the rules are account wide meaning that you can only get one CLI (User requested) every 6 months regardless of how many cards you might have with them. Congrats on the approval.

They didn’t ask for your SSN because they already know it from your existing account.

Question on this-- how is it possible for AMEX not to ask for EIN? Is this really the case that AMEX does not ask for EIN in their business card application process?

Thank you!!!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@seattlecredit08 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@PointsBonus wrote:

Question on this-- how is it possible for AMEX not to ask for EIN? Is this really the case that AMEX does not ask for EIN in their business card application process?

Thank you!!!

If you apply as a Sole Proprietorship then you can use your SSN and not provide an EIN.  This is true for all of the major small business card issuers.  I have business cards from Chase (2), Amex (3), BoA,  Citi and Barclays, and have never provided an EIN and used my SSN solely.  In @PointsBonus's case, they didn't even ask for his SSN because he was applying from an existing American Express account so they already knew his SSN which they used for his Sole Proprietorship application

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Irish80

If you apply as a Sole Proprietorship then you can use your SSN and not provide an EIN.  This is true for all of the major small business card issuers.  I have business cards from Chase (2), Amex (3), BoA,  Citi and Barclays, and have never provided an EIN and used my SSN solely.  

So you have business cards but no business? I just applied for the Amazon Business Amex Card but got to call in for verification.  I really didn't want to use my personal credit for my business credit but I couldn't process my application until I put that SS number in.

Message 7 of 10
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

Question--  If one has an LLC with a valid EIN, does one have to provide EIN when applying to AMEX business card (in addition to their personal SSN, of course)?

Thanks!

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question--  If one has an LLC with a valid EIN, does one have to provide EIN when applying to AMEX business card (in addition to their personal SSN, of course)?

YES!!!!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Irish80

If you apply as a Sole Proprietorship then you can use your SSN and not provide an EIN.  This is true for all of the major small business card issuers.  I have business cards from Chase (2), Amex (3), BoA,  Citi and Barclays, and have never provided an EIN and used my SSN solely.  

So you have business cards but no business? I just applied for the Amazon Business Amex Card but got to call in for verification.  I really didn't want to use my personal credit for my business credit but I couldn't process my application until I put that SS number in.

Not quite sure of your question.  Yes, I have a business.  I am the business because I am a consultant and therefore I can apply as a Sole Proprietor.  The IRS does not require you to have an EIN for a SP.

Regarding not using your personal credit for a business card.  That is not possible for any of the major creditors that issue small business cards.  It's not just Amex but Chase, Cit, BoA, Barclays, etc, etc are going to require you personally guarantee the credit card and they will always run your personal credit report before giving you a business credit card.  So if you want a Amex, VISA, MasterCard or Discover business card, your application is going to be based on your personal credit.  The only exception that I can think of is the BJ Mastercard and that might have changed.  There are other creditors that will give you a credit line for specific companies based on your business credit but not major credit cards.  You can search this forum for those.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.