Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Starter Card for Business Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Starter Card for Business Credit

I have been hearing a lot about starting with one of the Amex Blue Cards as my first Biz card. My personal scores are around 680 and I have 4 reporting trade lines over the past 4 months (the length of the business). What're your thoughts? Also, since I don't plan on carrying a balance, would it be all the same to go for one of their business charge cards if the value is worth it for me? I'm really just wondering if the criteria is that much more or are the approval rates within the same ballpark?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: First Starter Card for Business Credit

I believe qualifying for first Amex biz is about like qualifying for first Amex personal. Co-branded cards will be easier than others.

I haven't seen any data points regarding people getting a biz card before a personal card with Amex.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I think that is something to ask. Has anyone applied and been approved For an Amex biz without having a personal card with them first?
Message 3 of 12
Five6Two
Frequent Contributor

I am sure people have, but I am on of those folks that had existing Amex relationship and received a Biz card on a softpull. If your credit profile supports it, they may be comfortable extending biz credit to you since it is a PG. IMO, Biz Blue Plus is a great starter at 0% intro apr and 2x pts if you're into the points game (find a referal link for extra pts). If not, the Biz Blue Cash is 2% cash back with similar intro apr. 

Siggy under construction Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Five6Two wrote:

I am sure people have, but I am on of those folks that had existing Amex relationship and received a Biz card on a softpull. If your credit profile supports it, they may be comfortable extending biz credit to you since it is a PG. IMO, Biz Blue Plus is a great starter at 0% intro apr and 2x pts if you're into the points game (find a referal link for extra pts). If not, the Biz Blue Cash is 2% cash back with similar intro apr. 

Thank you. I'm just wondering if the approval criteria for that and the charge card are similar. I do more travelling and would benefit more. Not to mention the sign up bonus.

Message 5 of 12
Five6Two
Frequent Contributor

Charge cards from Amex tend to have less stringent underwriting criteria as the card is essentially pay in full each month, versus revolving credit. Sounds like gold or platinum would work well for your travel needs. Definitely look for a higher signup bonus than what is advertised on their website.
Siggy under construction Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our first biz card was Cap 1 Spark.  The limit was low,   After 6 months they offered us a 2nd card with better terms and it now has a $20K  limit. Our biz does not carry inventory so the liit works fine.   

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice. What was the timeline on that?
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received Amex gold as first business card. No personal relationship with Amex.
Message 9 of 12
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@mikesonthemend wrote:

I believe qualifying for first Amex biz is about like qualifying for first Amex personal. Co-branded cards will be easier than others.

I haven't seen any data points regarding people getting a biz card before a personal card with Amex.

I have two Amex biz...no  personal. (scores exp 715, tu 736, eq 744  Exp Business score 96,  S-Corp 25+ yrs,  0 derogs) 

First Amex biz card Sept 2019 Lowe's Rewards, Second card Dec 2019 Amazon Business.

Dh has one Amex biz....no personal. (scores exp 768, tu 772, eq 783)

Blue Business Cash- Sept 2019.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.