Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting approved for Corporate Amex after CH7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting approved for Corporate Amex after CH7

I work for the largest beverage company and they are authorizing an Amex Corporate card for me. My bankruptcy was discharged in January of 2019. Will I have any issue getting a card through my company?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Re: Getting approved for Corporate Amex after CH7

Not sure if the corporate is different, but most threads I've seen is you have to be years out of discharge to qualify with Amex. No idea if the corporate is different or not since you won't be responsible for paying.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 2 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I work for the largest beverage company and they are authorizing an Amex Corporate card for me. My bankruptcy was discharged in January of 2019. Will I have any issue getting a card through my company?

It depends in part on the specific corporate agreement your employer has with AMEX.   Your best bet is to have a conversation with your company's program administrator so they can try to pull strings if needed. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 9
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Short Answer: Not Really

Depending on how your employer has set up responsibility for payment, AMEX will approve outright or approve provisionally for an initial period by limiting your spending ability (e.g. up to $1,000 T&E expenses and $300 in non T&E expenses) per month, to be reviewed and updated with your usage.

Most of the time, it's your employer's credit (D&B and Paydex Score) that's used for issuing Corporate Cards with AMEX having the ability to limit their risk based on the user's credit.

If you have questions or concerns, speak to your program administrator as @coldfusion suggests. This is not a unique situation and they've been through this many times before and will let you know about any issues.

Don't sweat it too much.

Message 4 of 9
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I will echo what others have said, from personal experience. I work for a huge computer/tech/consulting company. The reason I began the journey of building or rebuilding credit after many years of paying for everything with cash is that my company had me apply for a corporate Amex. I was approved, but with limits (for example, $100 retail). They said they'd review in 12 months and possibly remove the limits. Those limits are set by my company, not by Amex.

Amex should approve you, as long as you have never burned Amex. They are said to have a long memory. I don't fall into that category so I can't provide datapoints about what happens if you burned Amex and apply for a corporate card.

But, I had FAKOs in the low 500s including a charge-off and basically no positive lines of credit at the time I applied, and I was approved. From Amex's point of view, you aren't who will be paying, so they don't care. The limits on my corporate Amex are based on my employer's policy, not Amex's decision.

Short answer, you should be approved, but it is possible you'll have an awkward conversation with your manager if you end up with a limited card.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I have gathered so far is that as long as you didnt include amex in your bankruptcy and not on their blacklist you should be fine. Just curious if anyone else has dealt with this.
Message 6 of 9
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They will do a SP and if you get denied, your company can override the decision by guaranteeing the account. 

Your company should have a Program Administrator that you contact for further information.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My AMEX corporate card approval was how I figured out I was not on the Amex blacklist. It was a HP though. I haven’t had any issues with limits on the card and I already used it for 2 biz trips where I was constantly swiping $$$. Then 2 mths later I appd for Delta Gold and that was another HP. Was approved but only with a $1K SL. The card has my member since date from years ago. I’m slowly getting back in with them and will be using my SUB and PIF. Good luck!
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update*** card was approved with no HP but they did want my SSN. Should be receiving it today or tomorrow.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.