Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Util on AMEX business question

tag
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

High Util on AMEX business question

I have several personal AMEX cards and one biz card. I know that the business card won't show up on my credit reports but, will AMEX penalize my personal cards for high util on a business card? I'm sneaking up on 40% utilization. I've never been that high on any card ever but, I'm financing a project and will need a few months before paying that off.

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: High Util on AMEX business question

I haven't much experience with Amex in that regard, and so Im bumping this hoping someone who this will chime in. Ill ping a few folks who could probably help out...

@FinStar, @CreditCuriosity, @Anonymous, @Creditaddict
Message 2 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Our business card has been maxed for 2 years now.
Our personal spg was maxed too and I paid it off and then used half again and they slashed the limit in half, I paid it off again and they put the limit back.
With your ex score so high and if personal credit isn’t changing I doubt they will care about the business card especially if you are talking months not years!

We are hoping to refi business soon which would include paying the credit cards off, I’ll post when that happens if Amex does anything.
$25k business
$11k personal
Our gold charge is hard limit to $5k and we use that almost monthly (been hard limit for over 2 years)
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is another one of those YMMV situations. If you plan to carry high utilization, then it's probably best to make sure your making sizeable monthly payments. Just to show them you are serious about paying them back.

I carried $7K for a few months, which was 70% of my CL. But I paid it back in about 6 months.

I'm currently on a 0% BT promo with the BBP for about 40% util, making 8 times the minimum payment.

So I think thay can be alright with it, so long as the person demenstrates willingness to responsible about it. 

I definitely wouldn't rack up charges and only make the minimums, especially if there's interest involved.

P.S. They're also gonna be watching your personal side to see what you're doing overal, and how much you're taking on. So be wary of sending out red flags.

Message 4 of 9
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

So in other words, don't even think about seeking CLI on the personal side, huh?
Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 5 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Sure, ask for cli.
Will help with how much your actually using!
Message 6 of 9
LittleSal
Frequent Contributor

My BBP has been been maxed for 7 months because of 0% intro. Just got 3x CLI on BCP.

AMEX doesn’t seem to care about maxed business card.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So long as you are in good standing with Amex, and as stated in another reply I think you are fine. I'd probably not request any large CLI's or run up a balance on any other cards as Amex will get freaked out by that. (but this is common sense on these boards and by most users here) 

I had the same worry about 18mo ago, as I financed a project ($12K) for about 12mo on my Biz Blue, using the 0% intro period. I had made the original purchase on another card, and opened the Biz Blue and paid the BT fee to move into the BB. Well worth the fee as it saved me ~$1000 in CC interest. Ended up being a great process as the project was quite lucrative :-) .

I made sizeable monthly payments, however. The bigger question is interest cost.... on pretty much any Amex that interest may eat you alive if not in a intro or 0% offer. 

Message 8 of 9
Time2letgo
Regular Contributor

I did some upgrades to my office and it was basically paid for on my Amex, BBP.  Total project was around $40,000 and took 6 months to be completed. I made payments each month on that card of around $2,000 - $3,000 and the highest balance on the card went up to $26,000 which put me at about 65% utilization on that card at the time. I made a payment of $14,000 bringing it down to 30% and a month later Amex increased the limit automatically by $8000. I didn't feel any pressure from them balance chasing. On my personal cards I kept paying the statement balances in full in month.

Work In Progress:
Current Revolving Personal CL: ~$466K

Current Revolving Business CL: ~$107K

Gardening Until Dec 2019 or Until All Scores are back above 800s

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.