cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon can you apply for a 2nd Amex Business Card?

tag
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

How soon can you apply for a 2nd Amex Business Card?

Usually he would not even think about applying for a second card within 6-12 months from the last, but husband has 2 of his oldest accounts falling off his reports this year which will drastically bring down his AAOA. 

Got the amazon business card in November, is Jan or Feb too soon to app for another business card? If it's done too soon will it be a lower SL? Will it be a SP for the second card?

Also, he also plans to app for his first chase card in a few months? They will not see the business apps or new accounts will they for their personal card? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: How soon can you apply for a 2nd Amex Business Card?

@Bees18 wrote:

Usually he would not even think about applying for a second card within 6-12 months from the last, but husband has 2 of his oldest accounts falling off his reports this year which will drastically bring down his AAOA. 

Got the amazon business card in November, is Jan or Feb too soon to app for another business card? If it's done too soon will it be a lower SL? Will it be a SP for the second card?

Also, he also plans to app for his first chase card in a few months? They will not see the business apps or new accounts will they for their personal card? 

Thanks

For AMEX there are several things in play as far as applying for a business card. For revolvers (cards with limits) AMEX will not let you apply for more than 2 cards in a 90 day period. This rule does not count against charge cards which you can get as many as you want provided you have the means and scores to get the cards. Even with his oldest accounts falling off I would be careful to make sure the apps are spread out enough to not run into any issues. Nothing to really worry about but something to keep in mind.

For what type of limit will be issued pending approval that will depend on your husband's credit profile and how much AMEX is willing to extend him. The good thing about revolvers is the CLIs can be lucrative as long as you follow the guidelines set here. Also, AMEX is pretty good at allowing reallocations of limits with certain caveats which don't concern him if he sticks with business cards for the time being with AMEX. You can shift limits around online or over the phone pretty easily to suit his needs.

The general rule of thumb with future AMEX applications is MOST of the time you won't incur any HPs for applications. There have been a few posts of people reporting HPs but that is a rare instance IMHO. Considering he is a new customer I would wait 2-3 months just be safe before safely applying if he wants a SP for his app.

And no any business cards gained with AMEX will not show up on his credit report so Chase will not see them when he's set to apply for a personal card with them. Do be aware that Chase's 5/24 rule does extend to all cards it seems like and Chase considers all cards in the past 24 months that were opened including AUs and any cards already closed during that time.

Message 2 of 10
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

@simplynoir

This was very helpful! Thank you!

Message 3 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

No problem I'm happy to help!

Message 4 of 10
Rgudino1717
Contributor

Does the card that i'm applying for have to show up as an offer in order for it to be a SP only or can I apply for any card and have it be a SP. Just got my first card with AMEX in Novemeber (SimplyCash Plus Business) and would like to get another one in a few months (Blus Business Plus)

Message 5 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Rgudino1717 wrote:

Does the card that i'm applying for have to show up as an offer in order for it to be a SP only or can I apply for any card and have it be a SP. Just got my first card with AMEX in Novemeber (SimplyCash Plus Business) and would like to get another one in a few months (Blus Business Plus)

You can cold-app (apply for a card with no standing offer/pre-approval) and it will most of the time be a SP with AMEX. As with anything credit-related YMMV.

Message 6 of 10
Rgudino1717
Contributor

Nice. That's what I needed to know. Hopefully they give me a bigger limit with my next card Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just got the Amazon Business amex+SimplyCash+Plum+Gold business all in the same night. 

I wouldve got the Blue Business as well but I hit my 2 revolver Limit for the time

Message 8 of 10
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

@Rgudino1717

Did you ever apply for the second Amex Biz card and was it a soft pull or preapproved? 

Message 9 of 10
Rgudino1717
Contributor

Not yet. Gonna wait until the third statement shows up. Haven't been preapproved for any cards yet. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.