cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is one of these AMEX harder to get? Should I wait?

tag
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

Is one of these AMEX harder to get? Should I wait?

Got denied for business Blue Cash. I had not had my Amex personal card for long. That was about 2 months ago. Now I received an offer in the mail for their business Gold card. I'm thinking they feel better about me since I reached 3 months history with them?

I plan to wait until 90 days since my denial and apply for Blue Cash again. Or should I wait until my personal card with them reaches 6 months? Maybe the mailed offer means nothing? Or is the Gold easier to get because they want that annual fee?

I do AZEO.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is one of these AMEX harder to get? Should I wait?

If you can exercise some patience which could yield better results, then wait ~6 months.  Neither card is going away and the SUB (for the Gold Card) is unlikely to change (give or take).  The mailer is nothing but marketing, OP. 

Message 2 of 4
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

I think the Gold is far easier to get on the Biz side anyway.  I got mine with a pretty low EX Fico.  I proved myself and the ended up giving me a Marriott Biz at 20k with a sub 700 EX Fico.  I seem to be golden in their eyes now, especially with 800 EX scores..

Edited to add:  They denied be several times for the Blue Cash until they finally relented for a Blue Plus which started my revolver approvals.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 3 of 4
oDrew
New Contributor

The general consesus is that the charge cards are easier to get than the revolving cards. See below for my timeline of approvals and denials with some data.

• 1/2021: Joined AMEX with the personal gold. Approved at 674.
  • 3/2021: Denied BBP (680s, length of time as Amex customer too short was one of the two primary reasons; cannot remember the second)
  • 5/2021: Denied BBP (Low 700s, length of time as Amex customer too short)
  • 6/2021: Approved personal Platinum (Low 700s)
  • 6/2021: Denied BPP (Low 700s, length of time as Amex customer too short)
  • 7/2021: Denied BBP (710, length of time as Amex customer too short)
  • 7/2021: Approved Business Prime (710)
  • 8/2021: Approved BBP (714) with 5.3k limit. Will CLI at 61 days.

I am now pre-approved for all business cards. All submissions after the initial gold approval were soft pulls, even the denials.

American Express Rose Gold (NPSL)
American Express Green (NPSL)
American Express Blue Business Plus (30K)
American Express Blue Business Cash (10k)
American Express Business Prime (5K)
American Express Hilton Honors Business (6K)
NFCU Flagship (28K)
Wells Fargo Active Cash (11.3K)
Wells Fargo Gallery Furniture (20K)
Capital One QuickSilver (10.5K)
Discover IT (13K)
US Bank Cash+ (5K)
Barclays Rewards (7K)
Synchrony Amazon Prime (10K)
Synchrony Lowes (35K)
Synchrony Ashley Homestore (10K)
Best Buy Store Card (12.5K)
PenFed PCR (7.5K)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.