cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just recieved a letter from Amex for my LLC. Please advice

tag
svali42

Just recieved a letter from Amex for my LLC. Please advice

I have been working hard to build and improve my personal credit, no doubt about it; Disputing and paying off old debts, getting Secured credit cards , Authorized users from family members with stellar credit , low credit utilization, etc. Basically, I’ve been working hard to get to my yearly goal.

I have my eye on Amex and I thought I might get a pre-appproval invitation for my personal credit; however, yesterday in the mail I got a pre-approval for my LLC that’s only three months old. The Card was Amex blue business cash card

I am doing a good job building my personal credit and would love to start working on my small business line of credit as well but if I apply for that card won’t Amex hit me with a hard pull since they will use my social and EIN ?

Can you get denied after getting a pre-approval letter? 

How will they determine how much of a credit line they will give me? What are requirements that fall here

Thanks in advance.

My personal credit TU: 682 Equifax: 674 Experian: 630

:salute:

7 REPLIES 7
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just recieved a letter from Amex for my LLC. Please advice

@svali42 wrote:

I have been working hard to build and improve my personal credit, no doubt about it; Disputing and paying off old debts, getting Secured credit cards , Authorized users from family members with stellar credit , low credit utilization, etc. Basically, I’ve been working hard to get to my yearly goal.

I have my eye on Amex and I thought I might get a pre-appproval invitation for my personal credit; however, yesterday in the mail I got a pre-approval for my LLC that’s only three months old. The Card was Amex blue business cash card

I am doing a good job building my personal credit and would love to start working on my small business line of credit as well but if I apply for that card won’t Amex hit me with a hard pull since they will use my social and EIN ? Yes, if you do not currently have an Amex, issued directly from Amex, you will have a hard pull for this application. Regardless of sole proprietor or LLC, in the end, the card is a personal guarantee (which means you are personally responsible for all charges made to the account even if the debt is for your LLC). They will be looking at how you pay your debts.

Can you get denied after getting a pre-approval letter?  Yes, absolutely. Pre-approval and pre-qualified are no guarantee of approval. This could be marketing. 

How will they determine how much of a credit line they will give me? What are requirements that fall here Amex uses your stated income, stated assets, current usage-if already an Amex member and other factors when determining a credit line. 

Thanks in advance.

Message 2 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@svali42 wrote:

I am doing a good job building my personal credit and would love to start working on my small business line of credit as well but if I apply for that card won’t Amex hit me with a hard pull since they will use my social and EIN ?

How will they determine how much of a credit line they will give me? What are requirements that fall here

Thanks in advance.

I agree with everything @BearsCubsOtters said

I want to add:  The Blue Business Cash card is a great card!  2% cash back, no annual fee, doesn't report to personal credit. So you should grab it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 8
jnbowmar
New Contributor

I litteraly got the same mailer today for my llc.

I am not an amex customer but do have a hilton honors account and get emails to apply for that.

I DID apply for the hilton honors biz AND the personal aspire a month or so ago, both denied.

Scared to apply for this one too, even tho i want it.

Message 4 of 8
ScorpioRising
New Contributor

@jnbowmar wrote:

I litteraly got the same mailer today for my llc.

I am not an amex customer but do have a hilton honors account and get emails to apply for that.

I DID apply for the hilton honors biz AND the personal aspire a month or so ago, both denied.

Scared to apply for this one too, even tho i want it.

I understand you may be scared to apply. What did the denial letter say though? Was it your credit score or the age of the business, etc etc. If they are within your control to fix/correct, then you can overcome those and re-apply when you feel ready. 

Message 5 of 8
ScorpioRising
New Contributor

@svali42 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

A pre-approval doesn't necessarily translate to an approval. Without discouraging you, your Experian Fico score is quite low at 630. Amex almost exclusively pulls Experian. Hopefully, depending on where you live, they could pull the TU or EQ.

Having said that, the Business Gold card could be easier for you to get approved for. Amex is more lenient when it comes to their Charge cards as opposed to their Revolving cards, for some reason. A Charge card also gives you more spending power and flexibility.

Once you have a card/relationship with Amex, you can then apply for any card you want...ALL with a soft pull, which is a very good thing. Good luck!

Message 6 of 8
jnbowmar
New Contributor

UPDATE: denied.

Fico Ex 8 630

Second amex denial in 58 days. 

@ScorpioRising wrote:

@

Message 7 of 8
ScorpioRising
New Contributor

@jnbowmar wrote:

UPDATE: denied.

Fico Ex 8 630

Second amex denial in 58 days. 

@ScorpioRising wrote:

@

Sorry to hear that but not surprised. I did say that your Experian score was quite low. Did you apply for the BBC or the Gold? 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.