Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My capital one came as a visa signature

tag
purebulldogs
Contributor

My capital one came as a visa signature

It's a 20k limit spark card. I didn't expect it to come as a signature. 

does the signature have decent extra benefits or are they all pretty much the same at this point

B5776F57-F141-4457-A20C-D5794676B45D.jpeg

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: My capital one came as a visa signature

Being that it's $20k, I'm not surprised. Generally (in the past, not so much now, though some issuers still follow the "tradition"; I believe Cap One is one of them), any card $5k or more would be issued as a Visa Signature. I'm not sure on the elevated benefits, but a quick chat/call with them (or check your paperwork that came with the card; it should be in there too) will answer that question. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 14
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

CONGRATS!!!!!

When you receive a capital one credit card it comes with a booklet describing all the benefits. The booklet is in the same envelope as the card.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 3 of 14
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

C1 usually issues anything above 5K as a Signature, for MC it's usually the WEMC. 

Not all banks follow this though. The Chase Amazon is issued as a Visa Signature, even if the CL is only $500. 

It's up to the issuing bank. I have a lot of Signatures and WEMC, honestly I don't know of all the benefits. I think some is the Luxury Hotel Collection and possibly a concierge service. Each bank is different on benefits. This card might also have Travel and Trip Cancellation and Trip interruption which during these hectic travel days might come in handy. 

JR
Message 4 of 14
purebulldogs
Contributor

@JLRDC909 wrote:

C1 usually issues anything above 5K as a Signature, for MC it's usually the WEMC. 

Not all banks follow this though. The Chase Amazon is issued as a Visa Signature, even if the CL is only $500. 

It's up to the issuing bank. I have a lot of Signatures and WEMC, honestly I don't know of all the benefits. I think some is the Luxury Hotel Collection and possibly a concierge service. Each bank is different on benefits. This card might also have Travel and Trip Cancellation and Trip interruption which during these hectic travel days might come in handy. 

Yeah the issuing bank seems to make a big difference. I had a $500 limit Best Buy that was visa signature. It didn't seem to have any signature benefits. It was zero balance and I tried to charge $520 on it, declined. 

my capital one spark seems to be a real signature. Right now they said the computer shows I can spend 5% over the limit if needed, just my next months payment will include everything over the limit in the payment due amount. They told me over time they have seen people spend quite a bit over the limit if they prove they can handle more (most likely fiancials and bank statements etc) 

when I called citi about going over the limit on the Best Buy card, they said absolutely not and wouldn't increase the limit. 

Message 5 of 14
kcos194
Regular Contributor

@JLRDC909 wrote:

This is good to know, my SavorOne I just got a few weeks ago is a WEMC at a 3k SL. Makes me hopeful it'll grow with higher CL's in the future along with the other general WEMC benefits. 

Message 6 of 14
calisig
Regular Contributor

Mastercard and Visa offer banks benefits from their different package levels, ie Signature or World, etc. Just becuse a benefit is offered to a bank from the Signature package doesn't mean the bank has to purchase it for their Signature cardholders. A Signature card could be issued with only one Signature benefit. Banks can also buy benefits from providers directly without purchasing them from Visa or Mastercard ...

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 7 of 14
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@purebulldogs wrote:

@JLRDC909 wrote:

Yeah the issuing bank seems to make a big difference. I had a $500 limit Best Buy that was visa signature. It didn't seem to have any signature benefits. It was zero balance and I tried to charge $520 on it, declined. 

my capital one spark seems to be a real signature. Right now they said the computer shows I can spend 5% over the limit if needed, just my next months payment will include everything over the limit in the payment due amount. They told me over time they have seen people spend quite a bit over the limit if they prove they can handle more (most likely fiancials and bank statements etc) 

when I called citi about going over the limit on the Best Buy card, they said absolutely not and wouldn't increase the limit. 

Just FYI going OVER your assigned CL is one of the worst things you can do to your FICO scores outside a Late Payment. Even if only over for a short period Cap1 reports it as Over and it will ding your scores pretty hard at the time. having a 100% UTL is bad enough on any card but NEVER exceed 100% regardless if the issuer "allows it".

As to the "Signature Visa" each issuer is different and yeah it has some extra buying perks and discounts and such but nothing that special about it over a "normal" Visa card really.

Message 8 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bigseegar wrote:

Just FYI going OVER your assigned CL is one of the worst things you can do to your FICO scores outside a Late Payment. Even if only over for a short period Cap1 reports it as Over and it will ding your scores pretty hard at the time. having a 100% UTL is bad enough on any card but NEVER exceed 100% regardless if the issuer "allows it".

But this is temporary right, once the user pays the OTL excess (and hopefully much of the rest of the balance, getting UTIL way down) things return to normal.  Nothing like a late.....       So potentially less of ding than getting a new card to charge (all or part of) the large amount to.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@kcos194 wrote:

@JLRDC909 wrote:

This is good to know, my SavorOne I just got a few weeks ago is a WEMC at a 3k SL. Makes me hopeful it'll grow with higher CL's in the future along with the other general WEMC benefits. 

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean anything. A couple months ago, Capital One sent out an email to all Quicksilver holders, informing them their cards were upgraded to WEMCs.

Including mine. I have a $300 CL, and they've rejected my requests for a CLI. But my statement now shows my card is a World Elite Mastercard. The reason is probably swipe fees -- retailers are charged more when a customer buys something with a higher tier MC or VISA. This puts more money in Cap1's pocket (and MC's). It doesn't mean you're more likely to get CLIs.

@purebulldogs, if you want to know the network (VISA) benefits of your new VISA Signature, download the appropriate benefit guide here:

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/benefits-guide/

@JLRDC909is correct, VISA Signature (and all the other higher tier VISAs and MCs) comes with a suite of possible benefits, but it's up to the card issuer which are added to each card, so you have look to the card issuer to see what specific benefits apply to your card.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.