Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU business MC application, POI?

tag
dorkface
Established Member

NFCU business MC application, POI?

hi all.

this question is for those of you who have succesfully applied for this card without providing POI. 

how did you do it?

on the site it tells you to call the number to apply. i did, and was told i would need to fill out the paper app and provide 2 yrs of tax returns to apply for the card, which is not currently possible. so i did not even start the app.

i've seen posts by folks who say they provided no POI for this card.

what's the trick?

what's the secret magic?

us bank world elite biz card = instant branch approval, 18.7k.

amex biz blue and simplycash, instant online approval, 18.5k each, one right after the other.

chase ink cash, jumped through some hoops, had to go to a branch, submit a bunch of forms but still no POI, after about 3 weeks, 20k approval.

fico 8s, EQ 809, TU 829, EX 842

thanks in advance for your infinite wisdom and kindness.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: NFCU business MC application, POI?

Nowhere on the paper app does it ask for 2 yrs last tax returns, (unless theyve changed that recently)  If youre wanting more than $50k in credit, then you will need to provide POI. FYI... the Biz side of Navy is rolling out a new online business app that is suppose to do away with the downlaoding of paper app and then uploading it all etc..(PIA). Is was suppose to roll out last month, but they had glitches. Was told some time this month they will launch it again. Give it till end of month, and look again online for their "new" procesess. 

Before you can do anything though, you have to #1....be a member of Navy federal on the personal side FIRST. #2...be a member of the navy business  side,  and its a min of $100 to open biz membership.  They will transfer the $100 from your personal navy account.

Message 2 of 13
dorkface
Established Member

Thanks for your reply, pizza pie!

Sorry, I know that was bad Smiley Happy

I've been a member of nfcu, both personal and biz, since june. Jumped through all the business hoops, took a few days to get it sorted.

Silly me, I was going by what the csr told me. You are correct, nowhere on the app she sent me does it ask for poi.

In your esteemed opinion, should I app for a 50k card, and risk being asked for poi, or cap it at 25? If my request is too high, will they counter with a lower one that they like, similar to amex?

Thanks and cheers
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ran into the same issue a couple in July. You're supposed to need to supply financial info (no POI at the time of the app, just financial info) if you're requesting a >$25k CL, at least as of a couple of months ago. At the time there wasn't anywhere to specify on the paper form the CL you were requesting, so I assumed they would classify it as a <$25k application if the financial info section was blank.

The underwriter asked me for my 2017 business and personal tax returns. I declined, not because I'm doing anything shady, but because I refuse to give that info for any non-loan financial product.

As a data point, I've been a NFCU banking member on the personal side for 4 years and 2 years on the business side.

Message 4 of 13
dorkface
Established Member

Thanks habu

They sure want a lot of stuff for a credit card Smiley Happy

I'm assuming that was all you apped for at that time, and it wasn't a combined app for multiple biz products?

Weird that they wouldn't at least counter, saying, here's the SL we'll give you with POI, here's what we'll give you without.

I'm doing a weird real estate transaction. I can't do a regular mortgage because the seller refuses to be in contract longer than 2 weeks. So I'm looking for a business card with a low interest cash advance. Purchase the prop through non traditional means, then refi traditionally after I'm in title.

I have personal CU cards with good CA rates, but I don't want to beat up my score with util prior to a refi, hence CU biz cards. Easy.

Hopefully.
Message 5 of 13
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

The asking of Tax returns is not something new, and I think it just depends on which UW gets the business app Smiley Wink They will pull personal credit, but if approved it doesn't report to personal or business that Ive been told.

I had a list of questions for my financial rep who has my account to ask the UW, and that was one of them. When I applied, (6 months ago, and declined), I wasn't asked for any financials, and I did request the Visa at $5k hoping for an approval, or at the least a counter offer to their min they will give for a card of $2.5.

Rep said they try to always approve for a min of $10k on biz cards, and counter to $5k if they can't, rarely will they ever do the min.

The application did have a spot for the amount I was requesting, so if its still their, ask for $25k, hoping to get it or a counter. Its not instant, and can take up to 3-5 days to hear something back since all business apps are MR with an UW.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:
The asking of Tax returns is not something new, and I think it just depends on which UW gets the business app Smiley Wink They will pull personal credit, but if approved it doesn't report to personal or business that Ive been told.

I had a list of questions for my financial rep who has my account to ask the UW, and that was one of them. When I applied, (6 months ago, and declined), I wasn't asked for any financials, and I did request the Visa at $5k hoping for an approval, or at the least a counter offer to their min they will give for a card of $2.5.

Rep said they try to always approve for a min of $10k on biz cards, and counter to $5k if they can't, rarely will they ever do the min.

The application did have a spot for the amount I was requesting, so if its still their, ask for $25k, hoping to get it or a counter. Its not instant, and can take up to 3-5 days to hear something back since all business apps are MR with an UW.

On the personal side, I've got two cards with them, a $29k individual card and a $25k joint card, so they aren't averse to offering me credit...

Interestingly, there was no spot on the application I filled out for CL requested--if you were applying for a loan there was a section for that, but not for a credit card. Once the online app eventually goes live, I'll try one more time, then look at moving my business banking to a different, more business friendly institution if I get the tax return request.

As a side note, I'm currently going through a $75k SBA LOC application with another bank and they haven't asked for tax returns, at least not yet anyways, and I've already filled out two rounds of paperwork...

Message 7 of 13
dorkface
Established Member

Thanks so much for your input everybody.

Update:
Spoke to my regional nfcu business rep on fri, 9/21. He was extremely patient, informative, and helpful. Submitted my app that night.

Crickets.

Logged into my account this morning. Poof, there's a 15k Mastercard at 10.9%. Awesome.

No poi or extra info requested, just what was in the app.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dorkface wrote:
Logged into my account this morning. Poof, there's a 15k Mastercard at 10.9%. Awesome.

To clarify: you did request 25K?

And Congrats! df on a still sweet approval.

Message 9 of 13
dorkface
Established Member

I didn't request an amount. When I spoke to the rep I just asked for whatever amount they would approve me.

I'm good with 15k. I can grow it over time. That puts me at 91k of business card credit.

I'm going to call soon and see if I can app for a bloc or Cloc with the same pull.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.