Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Business Amex Questions

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: New Business Amex Questions

Hi OP, you have to decide and do what you think is best for you. Before you can dream about Black Card, you have to start with Green or Gold and build you way up. I have canclled my Personal Clear/Gold and Business Plum Cards last week. I did not like them suspeding my cards and sending FR. I like to have a reliable and trusted partner in business than unreliable and moody card. I know lot of people would like to have an Amex Card and your experience might be different. I wish you good luck in getting your Amex card soon.
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks that is why I want to start with a gold, platinum, or plum. Any one of those will allow you to upgrade to the centurion card after 12 months and $250,000 spent. As for AMEX, they can be moody, most of the people I know with Amex are very careful until they've built a pretty good relationship with Amex. Even then they're careful. 
Message 12 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

There is no automatic upgrade to black card after a year of charging.

You have to have the platinum card and then they have to Invite you to upgrade to Black 

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can call and request an upgrade to the Centurion card after being a card member for 12 months and spending $250,000 or more. You do not need to be invited. The Initiation fee is $5,000. The yearly membership fee is $2,500.I believe you can upgrade to the Centurion card form any card in the Amex lineup, not just platinum. You can also send Amex money at the beginning of the month if your limit does not allow you to spend $20,xxx per month to attain the $250,000 yearly spend. So if you're charge limit is $10,000 you send a check for $15,000 at the beginning of the month, thus temporarily increasing your limit to $25,000. You obviously have to talk to your rep to do this. 
Message 14 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Then I will just have to disagree with you.

Last time I spoke to a rep, I was told I would have to upgrade my card to platinum and then be invited 

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, sorry to hear. If you have been a card member for 12 months and qualify for the Centurion financially i'd call them again and ask for a upgrade. 
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

let me get this straight, you WANT to pay a credit card company $5000 to become a member of a group of card holders then another $2500 PER YEAR to remain in this group?

They can keep their card. I could find a host of stuff to buy with an extra $2500/yr. It doesn's seem to be a wise business decision more of a status symbol.

Message 17 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

insert foot in mouth, I did some calling around and I spoke to soon, they have changed the way to get the black card, I'm assuming since trying to get all there customers to be charge card holders and users again vs. credit card users.  You can now upgrade to black card anytime you want once you meet the requirements of $250k in last 12 months and have been a cardholder for at least 12 months time.

It's $5000 to except

$2500 annual fee for primary

$1500 for any additional cards annual fee.

They said nothing about having to have platinum so I am going to just continue to sit on my gold card and work on getting my charges up, I'm about 100k shy right now! lol 

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many peoples reactions are the same as yours. This is a business card, the expense will be written off. It's a status symbol that pays for itself in certain businesses. It also offers a whole array of benefits that are unavailable with other cards. 

BTW, good to hear creditaddict.  

Message Edited by Fr0zen on 04-29-2009 02:05 PM
Message 19 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I just about jumped out of my seat.

I have no problem with the annual fee because of what it does, but I'm still choking just a little on the 5k acceptance! I'm sure if I qualify anytime soon though I will get over it just to hold titanium in my hand! lol

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.